Looking for something that tastes super indulgent, but without all those extra calories and fat? This soup is perfect to impress your taste buds and your family! There never seems to be enough leftover because you’ll be left wanting more.
This delicious and creamy soup has a splash of red wine and is so indulgent, it seems sinful, but it’s actually good for you.
Kenney, my husband, actually customized this soup recipe from a similar recipe in The Maker’s Diet for me because my favorite everyday food to eat is cream of mushroom soup. This is a step up to a gourmet treat! I have since adapted this recipe to my own liking.
~ Kimberly Edwards 🙂
* Note: I had an issue with the recording of this video. So, it is broken into two parts: Part 1 & Part 2.
Serve With: Dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream, drizzle of truffle oil
Prep Time: 18 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the videos for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the videos below.
2 lbs Mushrooms – whatever varieties you desire – include enoki, shiitake, portabello, oyster, king oyster, crimini, button mushrooms, but you may also use dried mushrooms if you like.
2 cups Onions – Diced
5 cups Chicken Broth – We use reduced sodium broth or make our own.
3/4 cup Kefir
1 1/4 cup Fortified Wine – Like Port or Sherry
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Nutmeg – Freshly grated
Freshly Cracked Black Pepper – To taste
1 1/2 tbsp Butter or Coconut Oil
1 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
1. Slice mushrooms and dice the onions.
2. Pre-heat a stock pot and a frying pan. Add olive oil and an equal amount of butter to the pot and pan.
3. Add onion, soften them, then add half of the mushrooms to the pot and half to the pan.
4. Once they’re cooked through, add mushrooms in the pan to the pot.
5. Add fortified wine. Cook an extra 4 minutes.
6. Add chicken broth. Bring to a simmer for 3 minutes.
7. Blend soup with a stick blender until smooth and thickened or blend half at a time with a countertop blender.
8. Add the kefir or cream and grate nutmeg into the soup.
9. You can serve this soup with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream and/or a drizzle of truffle oil to get a super duper indulgent flavor and Enjoy!
This is probably my very favorite soup and I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert! So delish!
I hope you enjoyed this Mushroom Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time,
[tags]mushroom soup, cream of mushroom soup, mushroom recipes, mushrooms, soup recipe, soup, vegetarian recipe, vegetarian soup, vegetarian, creamy mushroom soup, creamy soup[/tags]
- How to Cook Mushroom Risotto: Upscale SuperBowl Treats
- Mushroom Week on Cooking with Kimberly!
- How to Cook ‘You’ll Never Believe It’s Healthy’ Creamy Mushroom Linguine
- How to Cook Mushrooms with Port Wine and Balsamic Sauce
- How to Cook Mushroom Wine Sauce