I looked in the fridge and saw we happened to have a lot of green vegetables…This is my tasty creation everyone loved; there’s almost none left. Very healthy and warms your soul.
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve With: Fresh, crusty bread
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yield: 1 large stock pot – Approximately 8 servings
- 2 large Green Peppers – Chopped
- 1 large bunch Kale – Washed & torn into bite size pieces minus stems
- 1 large Cucumber – Quartered and chopped
- 2 large handfuls Green Beans – Stem ends removed and chopped into 2″ long pieces
- 2 large handfuls Snap Peas – Cut in half
- 1 bunch Green Onions – Chopped minus root tips
- 2 cups Celery – Sliced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 large Onion – Chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic – Roughly chopped
- 3 cups broth/stock – I used a mix of vegetable stock and chicken stock
- 1 teapot Orange Pekoe (Black) Tea – Whatever brand you have on hand
- 4 thick slices Bacon – Sliced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper – To taste
- Sea Salt – To taste
- In a large stock pot on medium heat, fry bacon.
- Once browned, add onions and sautee until they are transluscent – add olive oil if necessary and there isn’t much bacon fat from frying bacon. Add garlic a few minutes before onions are done.
- Add rest of vegetables and spices, and stir.
- Add broth and tea and turn soup up to medium-high heat and simmer until vegetables are soft and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with fresh, crusty bread and Enjoy on a cold, rainy day!
- To make this soup more hearty, add chicken breast or tofu.
- Feel free to substitute other green vegetables you may have available locally or that happen to be in your fridge.
- Go completely vegetarian by omitting the meat.
I hope you enjoyed this Healthy Recipe on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. Looking for great low-fat soup recipes? Check out this handy cookbook:
[tags]vegetable soup recipe, vegetable soup, green soup, green vegetable soup, how to make soup, healthy soup recipe, healthy recipe[/tags]
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Vegetable Barley Soup
- How to Cook Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup with Extra Sharp Cheddar
- How to Cook Kimberly’s “Non-Italian” Minestrone Soup
- How to Cook Very Vegetable Soup
- How to Cook Healthier Cream of Spinach Soup