How to Make Hors d’Oeuvres: Wild Mushroom Tassies
Serve With: By themselves or with an arrangement of cherry tomatoes or other hors d’oeuvres
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Yield: ~ 4 dozen small muffin size, ~ 1.5 dozen large muffin size
Ingredients for Tassie Shells:
- 1 slice Bread per tassie with crusts removed – When using small muffin tin; When using large muffin tin, use 2 pieces of bread per reservoir
- Cooking Spray, Butter or Oil – To grease muffin tins
Ingredients for Mushroom Filling:
- 3 cups medium Mushrooms – Chopped; using a variety of mushrooms is best & tastiest
- 2 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 2/3 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp White Wine
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic – Minced
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Onion Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp freshly Parsley – Finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
Instructions to make Shells:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using a rolling pin, roll over each slice of bread with crust removed until each slice is well compressed. * Tip: You may leave the pieces square or use a round cookie cutter to create rounded shells. They’re wonderful either way.
- Small muffin tins are preferred: Place bread into each non-stick muffin reservoir pressing your prepared slices gently into the lightly greased forms to create a cup and allow the edges to come up over the sides. Large muffin tins: You’ll need 2 slices of bread overlapped to make a complete shell. Place pieces of bread to overlap in the middle into each non-stick muffin reservoir.
- Bake in oven until cups are golden and firm – approximately 6 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 min before removing them from the muffin tin and arranging them on a cookie sheet.
Instructions to make Mushroom Filling:
- Sautee prepared chopped mushrooms inn butter for 10 min on medium heat.
- Add garlic, sea salt, onion salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper and sautee for another 5 min.
- Sprinkle flour on top and continue to sautee until it’s uniformly incorporated.
- Add wine and continue to sautee for 1 min continually stirring.
- Add heavy cream and stir until nicely thickened.
- Sprinkle parsley on top and stir through. Remove from heat.
- Either fill bread cups, or refrigerate or freeze filling for future use.
- Place filled cups on cookie sheet and heat for 6 minutes 350°.
- Keep checking on them during heating to be sure they don’t get too brown.
- Serve alone or with an arrangement of fresh cherry tomatoes.
These mushroom tassies are a beautiful addition to any cocktail buffet or for hors d’oeuvres on any occassion.
I hope you enjoyed this Mushroom Recipe on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. For more fantastic Mushroom Recipes, check out this fabulous cookbook for only $1.59:
[tags]mushroom recipes, mushrooms, how to cook with mushrooms, mushroom appetizers, mushroom hors d’oeuvres, hors d’oeuvres recipes, appetizer recipes[/tags]
- How to Cook Savory Ham & Mushroom Tartlets
- How to Cook ‘You’ll Never Believe It’s Healthy’ Creamy Mushroom Linguine
- How to Cook Mushrooms with Port Wine and Balsamic Sauce
- How to Cook Escargots on Garlic Toast
- How to Cook Fantastic Beef Stew