How to Cook Very Vegetable Soup
On those cold days that you just don’t want to eat meat again, try this hearty vegetable soup worthy of your time! Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have!
~ Kimberly Edwards 😀
Serve With: Fresh crusty bread
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Yield: 1/2 stock pot full -~ 4 servings
2 large Onions – Chopped
3/4 cup Celery – Finely sliced
6 large Carrots – Finely diced
6 medium Potatoes – Diced into spoon-sized chunks
1 Sweet Potato – Diced into spoon-sized chunks
1 knob Ginger Root – Peeled & cut in 1/2
3 cloves Garlic – Finely minced
1/3 cup Green Pepper – Chopped
1 Green Onion – Finely sliced
2 tbsp Parsley- Finely chopped
1 stalk Summer Savory – * Optional
3 cups Chicken Stock – Or vegetable stock
2 cups Vegetable Stock
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Wine – Red or White
1/2 cup Pearl Barley
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Clove – Whole
4 threads Saffron
Sea Salt – To taste
Freshly Cracked Black Pepper – To taste
1. On medium-low heat, pour olive oil into large stock pot and warm.
2. Add onions and garlic and sweat them for about 5 min stirring gently.
3. Add celery, carrots, potatoes, sweet potato, ginger, bay leaf, clove and cayenne pepper, and sautee for an additional 10 min stirring gently.
4. Add peppers, summer savory and pearl barley, and sautee for an additional 5 min stirring gently.
5. Add stock, wine, water and 2 threads saffron, and heat on medium high heat, stirring often to make sure barley does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
6. Let soup simmer until barley is cooked, ~ 30 min.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste, parsley, 2 threads of saffron and green onion 5 min before soup is finished.
8. Serve with fresh, crusty bread and Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed today’s installment of Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 😀
P.S. Looking for more great soup recipes? Check out this great book:
[tags]vegetables, soup, veggies, vegetarian, vegan, vegetable soup[/tags]
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Vegetable Barley Soup
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Healthy Green Garden Vegetable Soup
- How to Cook Meatball Soup
- How to Cook Mennonite Green Bean Soup
- How to Cook Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup with Extra Sharp Cheddar