Traditional Spanish Tiger Nut Horchata is not just for adults, but kids too – everyone loves horchata!
Cooking Show: Coconut Tiger Nut Hard Horchata
Traditional Spanish Tiger Nut Horchata:
In this recipe, I’m using Whole Raw Premium Organic Tiger Nuts. These have their skins on & give more flavor to the horchata, in my opinion.
Review Show: Whole Raw Premium Organic Tiger Nuts
Type: Beverage Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min
Soak Time: 24 hrs
Yield: about 5 cups
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this episode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 1 1/2 tiger nuts – covered with 2 inches water & soaked for 24 hrs
- 1 cinnamon stick
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Have a blender on hand.
- Soak tiger nuts for 24 hrs, in water – enough to cover the Tiger Nuts by about 2 inches (about 1 quart), in a large bowl. Strain the tiger nuts & reserve the soaking liquid.
- Note: You can use a fine sieve, cheese cloth, nylon or a nut milk bag, to strain the tiger nuts.
- Use a slotted spoon & add the soaked tiger nuts into the blender, along with half of the soaking liquid. Also, add in the whole cinnamon stick & half the sugar. Blend very well, until smooth & creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a sieve or nut milk bag, to separate the liquid from the solids. With a spoon, your hand or spatula, squeeze any extra liquid through the sieve.
- Place the solids back into the blender, along with the remaining soaking liquid & a pinch of sea salt, and blend well blended, until smooth.
- Once again, strain the mixture & squeeze the remaining solids, to extract all the liquid possible.
- The remaining solids should be saved & can be added to cookie dough, a pie crust, or can be added to your pet’s food for added nourishment.
- Combine the liquids from both strainings, give it a quick taste test, and adjust the spice & sweetness levels, as desired. Refrigerate for a couple of hours, up to as long as 3 days.
- Give your horchata a good stir, and serve over ice with a dusting of cinnamon, a slice of orange citrus, and mojito mint, as garnish.
- In order to turn this already delicious beverage into a kicked up, adult, hard horchata version, add 1 0z of coconut rum and about 3 oz of the stirred horchata preparation, to each cocktail. Stir, shake over ice & strain into a suitable glass. Grind a bit of cinnamon over the top of the drink, add a slice of orange citrus, and a sprig of fresh mojito mint.
Plus, what a great cocktail this horchata makes! You could use any kind of regular or spiced rum, to make things a bit more exciting.
Traditional Spanish Tiger Nut Horchata is a recipe you will make over & over again to enjoy!
Playlist: Tiger Nuts Recipes + Reviews
Playlist: Spanish Recipes + Reviews
- Web Chef Review: Tiger Nuts Smoothie Mix
- How to Make Horchata for all Occasions
- Web Chef Review: Raw Premium Organic Tiger Nuts First Press Extra Virgin Oil
- How to Bake Gluten Free Tiger Nut Date Squares + Video
- How to Make Ghee: South Asian Clarified Butter + Video