…There are times I crave the flavor of my youth when I would eat cans of Campbell’s tomato soup.
Heck, to this day, there are times I use it for different purposes in the kitchen.
Today is one of those “lazy lunch” days. The entire key here is to kick it up to a different level than that regular tomato soup, out-of-the-can taste.
So, I’ll let you in on what I do to kick up that flavor of my canned tomato soup.
Firstly, instead of adding milk as the liquid, I add water if I’m stuck. However, what I prefer to add is tea…black tea. I feel it allows the tang of the soup to come through better than the milk that tames it. Water, well, it’s alright, but why not add a bit of flavor and character with the tea. This is especially great for those of us who have tea that went cold in our teapots. It’s perfect for this task.
Next, use freshly cracked black pepper. I add some cayenne pepper and usually some Tabasco or Louisiana hot sauce. Parsley or dill, fresh preferably, is the way to go here. I also may add some onion powder and/or garlic powder.
* Tip: I never add extra salt, because not only am I not a person who really enjoys salt, but canned, processed food is quite packed of sodium already. Check out the can, and adjust to taste, if necessary.
Voila…that’s a kicked up can of soup!
This is yet another way to cook with tea…
I hope you enjoyed this Quick Meal on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
P.S. Grab some Campbell’s Tomato Soup at Hand today:
- How to Cook Healthier Cream of Spinach Soup
- How to Cook Chicken Soup: National Chicken Soup for the Soul Day
- How to Cook Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup with Extra Sharp Cheddar
- Comfort Food Recipe at Its Best: Chicken Soup for the Soul Week
- September is National Chicken Month