How to Bake Sensational Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Serve With: Our Homemade Whipped Cream
Prep Time: 17 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min altogether…Unless you boil sweet potatoes (20-25 min, instead of 40-45 min roasted)
Yield: 1 large sweet potato pie
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Coat washed and scrubbed sweet potato with canola or vegetable oil, prick a few times with a fork, and place in oven on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet.
3. Bake for approximately 40 to 45 minutes, or until it is soft enough to pierce a knife through. Let cool. Peel, and discard skins.
* Tip: You may boil the sweet potato for the purpose of speed, but you won’t get the natural sweetness only possible from roasting.
1. Peel skin of sweet potato, and cut it into 1 1/2′ dice and boil for approximately 20-25 min, or until just fork tender.
* Tip: Do NOT over-boil sweet potato, as you will have an extremely wet mixture on your hands for the pie filling!
2. Continue with Step #4 below for the rest of the recipe.
4. Mash sweet potato in a large bowl and add butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg yolks, vanilla extract and spices, mixing thoroughly with a mixer.
5. In a separate bowl with clean beaters, whip up egg whites until they can hold a peak, but are not stiff.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Gently fold in whipped egg whites into sweet potato mixture.
8. Fill Mom’s Classic Pie Crust and bake on 350 degrees for 45-50 min, or until a knife in the middle of the pie comes out cleanly.
9. Allow to cool and serve with Our Homemade Whipped Cream.
Absolutely irresistible and always a family favorite at the Holidays! Enjoy this great family recipe!
I hope you enjoyed this Holiday Dessert Recipe on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. Be sure to Subscribe to this Blog!
[tags]sweet potatoes, sweet potato, pie recipe, Thanksgiving recipe, Christmas recipe, Southern recipe, soul food, dessert recipe, Holiday recipe[/tags]
- How to Cook Holiday Whipped Sweet Potatoes + Video
- How to Bake Superb Sweet Potato Bread for the Bread Machine
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- How to Cook Sweet Potato Sticks in a Roasting Tray + Video
- How to Roast Sweet Potato Medallions + Video