How to Bake Pastel de Tres Leches: Three Milk Cake
My good friend, Melania McCarley, from Dallas, Texas has made us this delicious treat a few times when we’ve visited her home.
She is Costa Rican and creates really tantalizing tidbits like chimichurri, also known as pico de gallo (be sure to click that link for her original recipe). However, she really outdoes herself when it comes to dessert.
Melania gave me her recipe for Tres Leches, but I couldn’t find where I put it when I wanted to make it for my mother last night. So, I went by memory and winged it and it was super duper phenomenal!
Here’s my recipe: It tasted like Melania’s, so I must have been pretty close!
Serve With: After-dinner tea or coffee
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Yield: 9″ x 13″ cake
1/2 cup Butter
1 cup Sugar
5 large Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 cups Whole Milk
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 can Evaporated Milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9″ x 13″ baking pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat well.
4. Sift flour and baking powder. Then, add it to butter mixture a few tbsp at a time and beat together until all flour mixture is added.
5. Pour into greased 9″ x 13″ baking pan and bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes – I prefer using a glass baking pan.
6. Take out of oven after 30 minutes or when golden brown and allow to cool.
7. Once cool, prick holes all over the cake with a fork to make places for the 3 milk sauce to soak in. The more holes the better.
8. In a bowl or large measuring cup, mix whole milk (or 1 cup cream + 1 cup skim or 1% milk) with cans of sweetened condensed milk and evaportated milk.
9. Pour entire contents on top of cake in the baking pan. Don’t worry, it will look like a lot of sauce, but the cake will absorb almost all of it.
10. Serve for dessert with tea or coffee or for a snack! Be careful – it’s very filling, but you’ll be wanting more!
* Tip: It’s optional to top it with homemade whipped cream and maraschino cherries.
I hope you enjoyed this Cake Recipe on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. Don’t have a 9″ x 13″ baking pan? No problem! I recommend Pyrex brand anyday:
[tags]tres leches, pastel de tres leches, leche, cake, three milk cake, 3 milk cake, cakes, baking, South American recipe, Central American recipe, Spanish recipe[/tags]
- National Dessert Day: How to Bake Fudge Chiffon Cake
- How to Bake Sponge Cake: National Boston Cream Pie Day
- How to Bake Plum & Apple Cobbler
- How to Bake Pineapple Upside-Down Cake: Mother’s Day Delights
- How to Bake Vanilla Cupcakes: National Vanilla Cupcake Day