October is National Seafood Month, and it’s going to be oh-so tasty!
Recipes too innumerable to record exist for the preparation of seafood.
One of our family favorites is Seafood Gumbo, and there are dozens of ways to make it.
How to Cook Seafood Gumbo:
Full of tasty seafood, a deep, rich broth with flavorful veggies of the trinity, plus carrots.
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve with: served over rice, with extra gumbo file & hot sauce
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hr
Serves: 8 – about 12 cups
- 10 oz peeled shrimp
- 1 lb craw fish
- 10 oz crab meat
- 8 oz lobster meat
- 12 mussels – cleaned, in shell
- 8 oysters – shucked
- 8 – 10 small clams – in shell
- 8 oz okra – sliced, cooked
- 5 cups fish stock – or chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups onion – minced
- 2 stalks of celery – sliced
- 1 large pepper – green, red or yellow
- 2 carrots – sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp gumbo file
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp parsley – chopped
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- In a stock pot, melt butter with peanut oil, add flour and stir constantly to prepare a dark colored roux. * Tip: This is the most important part of this dish. Making this dark roux will take time…enough time to stir it and drink at least 2 beverages. You must continue to stir constantly. Be prepared. Keep going until it’s a nice dark, chocolate brown.
- Stir in tomato puree, carrots, celery, onions & green pepper. Continue stirring until onions & peppers are cooked through.
- Add stock, gumbo file, and cayenne pepper, stir, and bring up to a simmer.
- Add okra, and in-shell fish – shrimp, craw fish, crab & lobster and simmer for a 2 -3 min.
- Add mussels, clams & oysters until shells open and oysters are plump.
- Sprinkle parsley on top and serve over rice.
Allow everyone to season with extra gumbo file, hot sauce, salt & pepper.
Check out my Daughter’s Louisiana Seafood Gumbo too!
National Seafood Month is just that much better now, isn’t it?
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Seafood Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- A National Gumbo Day Recipe: Ooh Wee!
- How to Make Kimberly’s Louisiana Seafood Gumbo
- Seafood for New Year’s
- Web Chef Review: Royal Command Gumbo File
- How to Cook Vegetable Rice Stuffing for Poultry + Video