This kicked up recipe finds you because it’s National Chili Month in October!
I don’t think I’ve ever made my chili the same way twice, and that keeps things exciting & fresh.
Depending upon your mood or what you have available will determine the personality of your homemade chili.
How to Cook Kicked Up Chili:
This is my basic recipe I use, and embellish as I feel like doing, or depending upon what I have at home when I make it.
Type: Main Dish Recipe
Serve with: sour cream, hot sauce & fresh, crusty bread
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 2 – 2.5 hrs
- 3 1/2 lbs beef chuck – or round steak trimmed of fat & ground
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions – chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 1/2 cup celery – diced
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 1 1/2 tbsp cup dark cocoa powder
- 10 oz red wine or dark beer
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 cans whole tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup green peppers – finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp chili powder – more or less to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt – to taste
- pepper – to taste
- In a large heavy stock pot, brown ground beef with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Once browned, add onions, garlic, peppers & celery to meat and cook until vegetables are soft, about 8 min.
- Add chili powder, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, cayenne, cumin and sugar, breaking up tomatoes and cook for about 15 min.
- Add beans, and incorporate cocoa powder, and simmer 30 min.
- Correct seasonings to your taste.
- Add wine and cook chili until the sauce thickens, about 1 1/2 hrs, stirring occasionally.
Serve hot, making available grated cheese, sour cream and hot sauce for everyone to individually doctor up their bowls to their own preference.
Do check out my Daughter, Kimberly’s Southwest Chili Recipe too!
Maybe you’re looking for a Vegetarian Chili…click that link to get the recipe.
Now, you’re all prepared for National Chili Month!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Tex-Mex Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook My Grandmother’s Favorite Southwest Chili
- National Taco Day: How to Cook Ground Beef Tacos
- How to Make Beef Burritos: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- How to Cook Mexican Quinoa Salad + Video: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- How to Cook Meatball Soup