Not only can you have sweet turnovers of pastry filled with fruit and the like, but savory ones can be made as well, for snacks or small meals.
However, we aren’t just talking about ANY turnover today, it’s National Apple Turnover Day in the USA!
Typically made with puff pastry, an apple turnover has chunks of gorgeous apples, tart ones work well, mixed with sugar and often cinnamon, as this spice is an obvious perfect match.
Sometimes they are fried, but more typically, they are baked. They are often completely sealed, but this version below is quick, so they are not completely sealed, and that’s alright!
Here’s a super-quick recipe for apple turnovers, cheating with crescent roll dough, finished in 15 minutes.
Type: Dessert Recipe
Serve: coffee or tea, with ice cream
Prep Time: 4 min
Bake Time: 10-12 min
Yield: 8 turnovers
- 1 large apple – peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tube of crescent roll dough
- 2 tbsp sugar + sugar to sprinkle on tops
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 dashed cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash, peel, core and chop apple into small pieces and place in bowl. Mix with sugar, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
- Unroll refrigerated dough onto un-greased cookie sheet and pull apart into the pre-cut triangles
- On side opposite the long, pointy tip of the dough triangles, line up apple mixture evenly dispersed between the dough triangles, and pour any juice left in the bowl over them.
- Gently, loosely roll up the triangles starting at the apple side and working your way towards the tip, trying to keep the apples inside.
- Lightly sprinkle sugar on the tops of the rolls.
- Place in oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 10-13 minutes.
Enjoy this tasty treat for breakfast with coffee or tea, as a snack, or dessert tonight, even with ice cream!
Happy National Apple Turnover Day!
Technorati Tags: National Apple Turnover Day, Apple Turnover Day, apple turnovers, quick apple turnover recipe, quick turnover recipe, national food holidays, food holidays, apple recipe, turnover recipe
- Swedish National Cinnamon Roll Day: How to Bake Cinnamon Rolls
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Crescent Cookies Recipe: Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day
- National Apple Dumpling Day: Memories of Mom
- How to Bake Bread with Raisins: Raisin Bread Month
- A National Apple Betty Day Recipe