Mennonite Green Bean Soup is a family tradition on my Mother’s side…This is Grandma’s recipe, and likely her mother’s, and so on…
How to Cook Mennonite Green Bean Soup:
This recipe is a food of love that you must feel in your very nature. You work with the ingredients you have on hand, and adjust according to the amounts you are using. An ideal or general recipe, depending upon how you look at it, is below.
As well, enjoy a Cooking with Kimberly show below showing an example of this soup. Mmm…
This is a passed down family recipe from my German side. It is so delicious, everyone craves this soup when the weather outside is frightful! ~ Kimberly Turner
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve With: fresh, crusty bread, sour cream and/or vinegar
Prep Time: ~ 15 min
Cook Time: ~ 1 hr
Yield: 1 large stock pot full
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 1 1/2 lengths of Mennonite farmer’s sausage – This is a smoked, pork-based sausage.
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 3/4 stock pot water or chicken stock
- 2 large onions – chopped
- 4 large carrots – sliced crossways
- 1/3 cup celery – finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 cups green beans – stemmed & cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 medium potatoes – 3/4 inch dice
- 1 stalk Summer savory – fresh
- 3 tbsp parsley – finely chopped
- salt – to taste
- pepper – to taste
- Slice sausage and 1/2 slices. On medium heat, brown sausage in a large stock pot, along with bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves.
- Add 3/4 pot full of water, carrots, onions, celery, garlic and green beans and continue to heat on medium and bring to a simmer.
- When green beans are almost tender, add potatoes, savory and parsley and bring back up to a simmer for ~ 10 min longer.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh, crusty bread and Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this Mennonite Recipe on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
[tags]Mennonite, Mennonite recipe, green beans, green bean soup, soup, farmer’s sausage, sausage, winter soup, Eastern European recipe, Russian recipe, German recipe, beans, pork sausage[/tags]
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Vegetable Barley Soup
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Healthy Green Garden Vegetable Soup
- How to Cook Kimberly’s “Non-Italian” Minestrone Soup
- How to Cook Green Split Pea Soup
- How to Cook Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup with Extra Sharp Cheddar