My new friend and neighbor, Melania McCarley, from Dallas, Texas made us this recipe this weekend and she told us it was “killer”.
Once we tasted it, we completely agreed – Wow! Amazing pico…
Melania is originally from Costa Rica where they call this mixture chimichurri.
Try it – you’ll love it – I begged her for the recipe, so I could share it with you, and be able to make it whenever we want now!
How to Make Melania’s ‘Killer’ Chimichurri – aka Pico de Gallo:
Type: Condiment Recipe
Prep time: 2 min
Cook Time: 10 – 12 min
Yield: 1 cup
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 4 – 5 Roma tomatoes – finely chopped
- 2 bunches cilantro – finely chopped
- 1/2 large red onion – finely chopped
- 4 key limes – juiced
- 3 chili de Arbol – finely minced
- sea salt – to taste
- pepper – to taste
- Tip: Melania instructs that the key to this recipe is hand chopping – never blending or using a food processor. Hand chopping ensures the right texture of the finished product and allows the flavors to meld naturally.
- Hand chop all vegetables & herbs.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and allow this mixture to sit in the fridge or on your counter for a few hrs, covered. * Tip: That way the juices come out and really make it a great pico.
- Serve with tortilla chips, fried yucca chips or pita chips!
- Tip: Try using it on your burgers or hot dogs hot off the grill instead of ketchup and mustard. You’ll be glad you did!
I hope you enjoyed this Sauce Recipe on Cooking With Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
[tags]pico de gallo, pico, chimichurri, Costa Rican recipe, South American recipe, sauce recipe, dip recipe, Mexican recipe, tomatoes, chili de arbol, red onions, Melania McCarley[/tags]
- How to Make Pico de Gallo Salsa: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- How to Make Breath-Friendly Tomato Salsa + Video: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- How to Make Beef Burritos: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- National Chili Month Brings a Recipe You Will Love
- How to Cook Stewed Tomatoes: National Tomato Month