How to Bake Mango Masala Chai Quinoa Muffins
Quinoa is an ancient grain, full of protein, that I wish I could use a lot more in my cooking…So, today I tried baking with it, and it turned out amazingly well! Just delicious!!!
~ Kimberly Edwards 🙂
Serve With: By themselves, with butter or jam
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: ~ 25 min
Yield: 12 large muffins
1 1/2 cups Flour – I prefer Robin Hood brand.
1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour – I use organic.
1 cup Quinoa – Rinsed
3/4 cup Brown Sugar – Packed
1/2 cup Dried Mango – Chopped
1/4 cup Coconut – Sweetened, dessicated
1 1/2 tbsp Flax Seeds
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom
1/2 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tbsp Honey
1 large Egg
3/4 cup Coconut Milk
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
* 1/2 tsp Coconut Extract – * Optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, on convection if you have it.
2. In a medium saucepan, add rinsed quinoa and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover, and allow quinoa to cook until it has soaked up the water (roughly about 12 min).
3. Into a large bowl, sift all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger. Add whole wheat flour, coconut, fennel seeds, freshly ground black pepper, and chopped dried mango.
4. Add 2 cups of cooked quinoa to the dry ingredients and stir until ingredients are evenly dispersed.
5. In a medium bowl, combine coconut oil, butter, egg, coconut milk, vanilla extract (& * coconut extract), and whisk together until combined.
6. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the large bowl, and stir gently until batter comes together.
7. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and spray with cooking spray, or grease with butter.
8. Disperse batter evenly into 12 muffin cups (they will be almost full).
9. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
10. Remove muffins from pan and let cool on a cooling rack.
The texture of these muffins is phenomenal! They are moist muffins that are hearty, and have a slight crispy texture on the top…Fantastic experiment!!!
I hope you enjoyed this
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. Need a new 12 cup muffin pan? Check out this one:
[tags]mango, masala, masala chai, chai, quinoa, muffins, baking, quinoa muffins, baking, muffin pan[/tags]
- How to Bake Great Oatmeal Muffins: Oatmeal Muffin Day
- How to Bake Buckwheat Sour Cherry Muffins with Honey Glaze
- How to Bake Rhubarb Poppyseed Yogurt Muffins
- How to Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- How to Bake Blueberry Burst Muffins