How to Cook Kimberly’s Vegetable Barley Soup
Delicious, nutritious and meatless! Some nights, I just cannot eat any more meat during the week…This is the perfect recipe for a cold day! Very satisfying because of the barley and beans, which makes a complete protein. ~ Kimberly Edwards ;D
Serve With: Fresh, crusty bread
Prep Time: ~ 15 min
Cook Time: ~ 45 min
Yield: 1 large stock pot full
* I use organic ingredients for this recipe…
3 large Carrots – Sliced
1 large Onion – Chopped
3 stalks Celery – Sliced
1 bunch Green Onions – Chopped
1 zucchini – Diced
1 large Beet – I use the greens as well.
2 cloves Garlic – Finely chopped
~ 6-8 Mushrooms – I prefer crimini.
1 cup Whole Kernel Corn – Frozen is fine.
1 large Tomato – Diced
~ 15 Green Beans – Roughly chopped
6 Brussel Sprouts – Quartered
2 Bay Leaves
3 whole Cloves
1 1/2 cups Romano Beans – Cooked or canned are fine.
1 cup Barley – Uncooked
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup Red Wine
1 L Stock – I use Vegetable Stock, but you may use chicken or beef broth if desired.
3 cups Water
Freshly Cracked Black Pepper – To taste
Sea Salt – To taste
1. In a large stock pot, sautee uncooked barley, carrots, onions, celery, beets, green beans, cloves and bay leaves in olive oil for 5 min stirring frequently.
2. Add zucchini, mushrooms, garlic and green onions for an additional 5 min stirring frequently.
3. Add red wine, tomato, corn, Brussel sprouts and stir frequently for an additional 5 min.
4. Add stock and water and bring to a simmer for approximately 25 min stirring occasionally.
5. Add Romano beans and season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste, and allow to simmer for 5 more minutes.
6. Serve with fresh, crusty bread and Enjoy!
This is just what I needed tonight…It is hearty, but clean to eat! A great meatless soup!
I hope you enjoy today’s installment of Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards ;D
P.S. For more great soup recipes, check out this great book:
[tags]vegetables, soup, barley, vegetable soup, vegetarian recipe, vegan recipe, stew, meatless, meatless soup, organic recipe[/tags]
- How to Cook Very Vegetable Soup
- How to Cook Mennonite Green Bean Soup
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Healthy Green Garden Vegetable Soup
- How to Cook Kimberly’s “Non-Italian” Minestrone Soup
- How to Cook Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup with Extra Sharp Cheddar