A few simple ingredients and you have a feast fit for a Southern Belle and any Southern Gentleman.
- 1 cup all-purpose cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- ~ 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp bacon grease or butter – Or you can use 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Do not use Margarine!!!
- 3 tbsp oil – To pan fry the cornbread in
- In a medium sized bowl, combine and mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Boil about 1 cup water and pour into mug.
- Slowly pour in hot water into dry ingredients in the bowl a few tablespoons at a time, and completely stir in with a fork or wooden spoon. Once all water is absorbed, pour more in to make a final dough that’s stiff, and not runny at all.
- Add 1 tbsp bacon grease or butter into mixture and knead for about 30 seconds to be sure it’s fully encorporated.
- In a skillet or large frying pan, heat on medium high heat with about 3 tbsp oil. * Tip: Oil must be hot enough before putting in the cornbread. So, use a few drops of water on your fingers and drop them into the pan when you think it’s hot enough. The water should sizzle. That means it’s ready. Keep heating if it’s not hot enough.
- With wet hands, take pieces of cornbread dough and make small patties, as you would forming a hamburger. They should be about the size of your palm.
- Place cornbread into hot oil and pan fry on each side until they are light golden brown.
- Serve with cheese, as a bread with a meal, or serve up for breakfast with fried chorizo or sausage.
For a more traditional cornbread recipe baked in the oven, check out:
I hope you enjoyed this Southern Soul Food Recipe on Cooking With Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
[tags]hot water cornbread, cornbread, cornbread recipe, Southern recipe, Soul Food recipe, Texas recipe, bread recipe, cornmeal[/tags]
- How to Bake Kickin’ Sweet Southern Cornbread from Scratch
- How to Bake Sweet Cornbread Muffins from Scratch
- How to Cook Mediterranean Hot Water Cornbread + Video
- How to Bake Fluffy Southern Corn Muffins
- How to Bake Kicked Up Sweet Cornbread for the Bread Machine