Ever experienced Kimberly’s Masala Chai Tea from Scratch? You must…
Kimberly’s Masala Chai Tea from Scratch:
It is unnecessary to say the word “tea” afterwards because the word “chai” actually means “tea”.
Serve with: Peace n’ Quiet
Prep Time: 4 min
Cook Time: ~ 18 min
Yield: 2 cups (because you’ll either want to enjoy it with someone else, or have 2 for yourself…LOL)
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the video below.
- 3 cups water – filtered, if possible
- 1 cup milk
- 15 cardamom pods – whole
- 12 black peppercorns – whole
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger – whole, fresh
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 pinches fennel seeds
- 2 dashes sea salt
- 2 black tea bags – I prefer PG Tips brand.
- honey – to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, preferably with a spout – but not necessary, combine water, milk, cardamom pods, ginger, fennel seeds, cinnamon, peppercorns & salt, and heat on medium until mixture boils.
- Tip: Be careful not to let it boil too quickly, and be sure to pay attention, as milk mixtures can boil over easily, causing a huge mess.
- Tip: If milk is about to boil over or is boiling over, immediately remove from the heat for a few seconds to control it. Turn down the heat slightly, and try heating it again.
- As soon as it is boiling, turn it down to medium-low heat for 15 more min.
- Tip: Be sure to stir occasionally to avoid it from sticking to the bottom or forming a thin film on top of the mixture.
- Once the mixture has boiled down to approximately 2 cups, drop in tea bags and allow to steep on low heat for 3 – 5 min, depending upon how strong you like your tea.
- Strain into cups and add honey to your liking.
Kimberly’s Masala Chai Tea from Scratch is my favorite chai combination, more appropriately called ‘Masala Chai’.
- How to Make Darjeeling Chai from Scratch
- How to Make Cardamom Hot Chocolate
- How to Make Chai Tea at Home – Kimberly Style
- How to Bake Mango Masala Chai Quinoa Muffins
- How to Make Orange Cardamom Iced Tea + Video