How to Cook Kimberly’s Low Fat Rigatoni Primavera
This recipe was written for serious endurance and professional athletes in mind…like my hubby!
Even if you’ve promised yourself, or loved ones, that you would take a “break” over the holidays with your athletic training, I know you…You’re sneaking in a “little” bit of practice in anyway. So, for those “sneaky” days, you need your carbs! Here is a great, but low-fat, pasta dish that will knock your socks off and keep your energy high!
Quick, easy and low-fat! I love any variation of pasta primavera! This is my one of my hubby’s favorite dishes, as it is quick, low-fat and filling too! He loves it as leftovers as well! Perfect for a quick meal between the holidays, and a great break from the same leftover holiday turkey.
Serve with: Garlic Bread
Prep time: 5-10 min
Cook time: 15-20 min
Yield: Serves 5
Using turkey sausage instead of pork greatly reduces the calorie and fat intake in this meal. With all of the great smoked turkey sausages these days, you aren’t compromising in flavor either!
- 1 pkg (450 g) rigatoni or any other shaped pasta you like
- 1/2 coil smoked turkey kielbasa; sliced and quartered. You may also use turkey or chicken sausage.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced, then halved
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced, then halved
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 tsp. red chili flakes
- freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
- ~ 1/4 cup low fat Parmesan cheese
- 1 whole tomato, finely diced
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 6 leaves fresh basil; or 3/4 tsp. dry
- 1 -1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Put stock pot/large pot of water with the salt and bay leaf on stove on high heat to boil. When water boils, add whole package of rigatoni and stir frequently. Once pasta reaches the point of being al dente, meaning soft but with a bite, strain with a colander. Coat with 3 tbsp. of olive oil.
- While waiting for water to boil, wash and chop vegetables.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Start sautéing smoked turkey sausage, onion and peppers in frying pan for about 5-8 min. Add some of the cracked black pepper and red chili pepper flakes.
- Add tomatoes, baby spinach and garlic, and sautÃ© for ~ 5 min.
- Add 1/2 of the chopped herbs and reduce for ~3 min.
- Once pasta is finished and coated with olive oil, cover it with the turkey sausage and vegetable sauce mixture.
- Toss everything with the remaining cracked black pepper and chili pepper flakes, and cover the pasta with parmesan cheese generously.
- Serve with garlic bread and enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this Healthy dish on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. Be sure to Subscribe to this Blog!
[tags]easy recipe, low fat recipe, pasta primavera, rigatoni, pasta, healthy recipe[/tags]
- How to Cook End-of-Summer Pasta Primavera with Shrimp
- How to Cook Impromptu Linguine with Meatballs: Cupboard Cooking
- How to Cook Mushrooms with Port Wine and Balsamic Sauce
- How to Cook Tired of Leftover Holiday Turkey Low-Fat Tortilla Soup
- How to Make Pre-Spring Salad