Bake up some Kickin’ Sweet Southern Cornbread from Scratch for dinner tonight!
I wasn’t too sure about it being sweet, but promised to try it out, and have been requesting it this way ever since!
Kickin’ Sweet Southern Cornbread from Scratch:
I love the crunchy baked top, and slightly grainy texture of this moist treat, capable of sopping all sorts of sauces on your plate.
You will love this recipe and make it all the time! It is especially great with fejoida!
Type: Bread Recipe
Serve With: softened butter
Prep Time: 8 min
Cook Time: 25 – 30 min
Yield: 18 inch square bread or 12 muffins
- 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal – You may use white cornmeal.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/3 cups milk – Buttermilk is even better.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter – Bacon fat works amazingly well too.
- 2/3 cup whole kernel corn – optional
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease a cast iron skillet, or an 8 inch square baking pan, with butter or bacon fat
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir.
- In a separate bowl, break eggs and beat until frothy, then add milk or buttermilk and mix.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until blended. Allow to sit for 10 min to soften cornmeal.
- Pour into baking dish and put in oven.
- Bake approximately 25 – 30 min, or until knife inserted into middle comes out clean.
Serve this gorgeous cornbread with softened butter, and everyone will want seconds of this great side dish – maybe bake 2 of them!
- How to Bake Sweet Cornbread Muffins from Scratch
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Southern Hot Water Cornbread
- How to Bake Fluffy Southern Corn Muffins
- How to Bake Kicked Up Sweet Cornbread for the Bread Machine
- How to Bake Sweet Jalapeno Mozzarella Cornbread Muffins