We love our yams and sweet potatoes so much that not only do we always make the Scrumptious Sweet Potato Spoonbread on each Holiday occasion, we also need our Candied Yams as well!
Yes…we make both!
Serve With: Holiday Feast
Prep Time: ~ 10 min
Cook Time: ~ 1 hr, 10 min
Yield: Feeds ~ 8 people with 1/2 yam each
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the video below.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (same temperature to cook your Turkey).
- Peel yams and cut in 1/2 lengthwise.
- Grease with ~ 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil a large baking pan (~ 12″ x 17″), and coat yams with remaining vegetable oil, and sprinkle lightly with sea salt and pepper. * Tip: If using 1 large can of yams, skip to step #5, as the yams being used are already fork tender.
- Arrange yams in baking pan, with flat side up and place in oven ~ 1 hr before turkey is going to be done, and roast uncovered for about 40-45 min, or until fork tender.
- Take out baking dish and dot with butter, pour maple syrup, and sprinkle with brown sugar evenly over top of yams and return to oven for ~ 10 min.
- Take back out, baste with liquid in pan, and evenly sprinkle marshmallows on top and return to oven to melt and brown marshmallows, ~ 8 min.
- Serve and Enjoy!
These Candied Yams are a family favorite, that’s for sure! This is a recipe passed down from a Southern grandmother and mother! I don’t know how far back this recipe goes, but it certainly is a real winner!
I hope you truly enjoy this Thanksgiving Recipe from Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
- How to Bake Smores Bread Pudding
- How to Bake Kimberly’s Creamy Corn Casserole
- How to Bake Candied Ginger Banana Bread
- The Side Dishes of Thanksgiving – At a Glance
- The Meat & Potatoes of Thanksgiving