Beans are a staple in many cuisines from around the world.
They are inexpensive and easy to use, if you know how to prepare them and cook them.
Instead of buying canned beans, you can make your own at a fraction of the cost and without the preservatives and chemicals they add to keep them “fresh”.
Beans are full of fiber that can lower cholesterol, among many other health benefits.
There are a few important tips when soaking and cooking beans that must be followed for the best results.
Type: Bean Recipe
Serve With: as a side dish with a meal of chicken, pork, fish, beef, or as an ingredient to add to other recipes
Prep Time: 5 min
Soak Time: overnight
Yield: 4-6 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the video below:
- 1 bag dried beans – roughly 4 cups
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 8-10 peppercorns
- water – to cover beans
- Rinse beans under cold water in a strainer or colander to wash. Then, pick through to be sure there are no other foreign articles in the bean mix.
- Place beans in a pot, and cover generously with water. Add bay leaf, chili flakes & peppercorns.
- Allow to soak overnight in the refrigerator or a cold place, covered.
- Drain & rinse under cold water and then boil beans in fresh water until tender, which can take up to 1-2 hours, depending on the size of the bean and how long you soaked them prior to cooking.
- Store in the freezer in a resealable plastic bag for quick access to beans for recipes.
I hope you enjoy this Vegetable Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen! Eat Deliciously!
Shirt: Aunt Carla’s Boosh
- How to Cook Purple Pole Beans + Video
- How to Start Bean Seedlings Indoors for the Vegetable Garden + Video
- How to Cook Beans from Scratch
- Veggie Chili Challenge
- How to Cook Spanish Rice in a Rice Cooker + Video