National Pheasant Day may sound like a foreign thing for your household…
They are popular game birds with pinkish meat, delicate & mild in flavor with slightly more texture than chicken.
Weighing between 2-4 lbs, a pheasant serves 2 people. The bones are tiny, there is more meat to bone than chicken, the thigh meat is darker, stronger flavored & more firm. Pheasant breast is leaner than chicken breast.
Wild pheasants have a rich, distinct taste.
How to Roast a Pheasant:
Wild birds should be kept refrigerated with feathers intact for 3 days before cooking. Bard the bird (cover with bacon) to retain flavor & moisture, if desired.
Type: Main Dish Recipe
Serve with: sausage dressing or wild rice stuffing
Prep Time: 12 min
Roast Time: ~ 1 hr 30 min – 1 hr 45 min
Rest Time: 10 – 15 min
Serves: 2 people with a 2-4 lb pheasant
- 1 whole pheasant
- salt – to taste
- pepper – to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 inch pork fat or bacon to cover entire pheasant – for barding, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season pheasant inside and out with salt & pepper.
- Stuff bird with a sausage dressing or wild rice, if desired. Otherwise, you may opt to stuff with sliced apples.
- Brush the outside of the bird with melted butter.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F.
- Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast until thigh juices run clear – about 1 hr 40 min.
- Let rest for 10 – 15 min.
- Remove barding & carve.
Serve alongside the dressing or stuffing you chose to roast inside the bird, and roasted sweet potatoes.
How to Roast Sweet Potato Medallions:
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Poultry Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Fruit Dressing for Holiday Goose
- How to Roast a Whole Chicken + Video
- How to Cook Pear Vinaigrette Roasted Whole Chicken + Video
- How to Roast Whiskey Basted Peameal Bacon
- How to Cook Cardamom Roasted Whole Chicken + Video