How to Prepare Asparagus for Cooking
Many people cut the ends off and some don’t even do that.
Let me clarify how to ensure you have tender asparagus every time you cook it!
There is a natural “breaking point” where the asparagus with naturally break.
1. Wash the fresh asparagus stalks in cold water.
2. Grab the asparagus at the root end and somewhere near the middle.
3. Gently bend the asparagus stalk and it will break off by itself.
* Don’t worry if it seems to be a bit more than you’d usually cut off yourself. What breaks off is the “woody” portion of the stalk that doesn’t get tender when cooked.
Some pieces will break lower and some higher, but this is the way it’s done.
You may now proceed to steam, boil, roast or par boil these babies – they don’t take long – only about 7 min to boil or steam, and about 15 min to roast! I love aparagus! <3
Now, get on out there, buy up some fresh, Spring asparagus and have a fabulous side dish!
I just posted a recipe I wrote exclusively for CIDANews.com today for asparagus:
If you didn’t know already, I am a guest author on CIDANews.com where I write every Monday morning great recipes, food info and tips at Kimberly’s Corner.
Now, these are posts exclusive for them, so you won’t find them here on CookingWithKimberly.com. So, to be sure you don’t miss my recipes there, be sure to Subscribe to that blog and you won’t miss those gems there either!
I hope you enjoyed this Vegetable post on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. There are so many ways to cook asparagus, but steaming them is among my very favorite ways to prepare it! Check out these handy asparagus steamers to make your life a lot easier:
[tags]asparagus, how to cook asparagus, how to prepare asparagus, cutting asparagus, asparagus recipe, CIDA News[/tags]
- How to Cook Asparagus in a Bamboo Steamer + Video
- How to Grill Maple Sugar Ham Wrapped Asparagus + Video
- How to Cook Asparagus with Hazelnuts & Orange
- Web Chef Review: Ontario Asparagus at Harvest Barn Country Markets
- How to Cook Bacon Wrapped Asparagus + Video