National Pickled Peppers Month spices up our menus this October, and you too can Pickle Hot Peppers of your own.
Although my recipe works well for red shepherd peppers, it works better for Hungarian banana & jalapeño peppers.
It’s best to wear gloves if you’re working with hot peppers & scrub your hands thoroughly with soapy water before touching your face or body.
How to Pickle Hot Peppers:
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers…Let’s pickle some hot ones!
Type: Canning Recipe
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Canning Time: 10 min
Yields: about 8 pints
- 4 lbs long, hot peppers – hot, green, yellow or red
- 4 lbs mixed green & red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 5 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 tsp pickling salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic – peeled
- Wash & prepare 4 lbs long, hot peppers; they may be hot, green, yellow or red in color, and green & red bell peppers.
- Blanch in boiling water or grill til blistered on the BBQ or under a broiler.
- Cool off & remove skin. * Tip: Small peppers are okay whole; large peppers will flatten out nicely if slashed with 3 or 4 slits.
- Fill jars with peppers, allowing 1/2 inch head space.
- In a large pot, bring to a boil, distilled white vinegar, water, sugar, pickling salt & cloves of garlic. Reduce heat & simmer for about 12 min. Remove garlic.
- Pour hot pickling brine over peppers in jars, allowing 1/2 inch head space.
- Apply lids & rings to jar tops.
- Process in a canner for 10 min.
- Remove to sheltered, covered spot in the kitchen.
- When lids go “pop,” the jars are ready to be moved to a cool, dry, dark area.
- Allow to cure for at least 4 – 5 weeks.
National Pickled Peppers Month will be a spicy one when you pickle your own hot peppers!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Pepper Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Can Dill Pickles: National Pickle Day
- Quick Pickling Facts & Guidelines: Pickled Peppers Week
- How to Can Mom’s Dill Pickles + Video
- How to Can Rhubarb
- How to Make & Can Rhubarb Chutney