When I have a marinating steak, I love to experiment with flavors, but often falling back on my “trusty rusty” recipe I’ve used for ages.
* Tip: When marinating, you don’t need to be precise with your measurements. Just be sure you have enough marinade in the container to completely coat the meat.
Have a large Ziploc-type bag ready. Rinse steaks under cold water and place in bag. Add olive oil, some red wine or beer, 1/4-1/2 lemon squeezed and zested, bay leaf, freshly cracked black pepper, chopped onions, freshly minced garlic and chili flakes.
* Tip: I don’t use salt as this can make the meat tough when marinating. Sprinkle sea salt on steak when grilling, if desired.
Close the resealable bag and be sure to get as much air out of the bag as you can before your seal it. Move the mixture around the bag to be sure all of the meat is covered and put the bag into a casserole dish or tupperware container, so it doesn’t spill or leak in your fridge.
Place in your fridge, ideally overnight, or for a few hours before grilling.
Then, grill it to your hearts content and feel free to use the marinade to baste the steak on the grill until it’s done. Just be sure to cook the marinade on both sides of the meat completely before you take the steak off the grill to eat.
I often use the same marinade for chicken breasts as well, but there are times I’ll add tequila, white wine or beer instead of the red wine to flavor the chicken, depending on what type of cuisine I’m going for that night.
Try adding lime juice to tequila chicken breasts.
I hope you enjoyed this Main Dish post on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. A flavor injector always works well when trying to “inject” flavor into meat with a marinade – If you don’t have one yet, you’ll love one of these and I’ve found you a stellar deal @ $2.99:
[tags]how to marinate meat, meat marinade, marinade recipe, marinades, preparing meat, marinating steak, steak marinade[/tags]
- How to Marinate Sirloin Tip Steak
- How to Marinate Beef Inside Round Marinating Steaks
- How to Grill Napa Valley Pomegranate White Balsamic Chicken + Video
- How to Make Rhubarb Horseradish Marinade for Pork Chops
- How to Grill a Spritzer Pop Can Whole Chicken on the BBQ