All of these sauces aren’t created equally…Here’s the recipe for True Hollandaise Sauce.
What is Hollandaise Sauce?
How to Make True Hollandaise Sauce:
Ideally, this sauce is prepared using a stainless steel bowl over a sauce pan of 1 – 2 inches of hot water – not furiously boiling water. A double boiler will also do well.
- Tip: Water should not touch the mixing bowl or top sauce pan.
If your water is too hot, your sauce could scramble or separate. Be especially cautious at the beginning stage, so you might whisk the yolks & chosen liquid (water or lemon juice) away from the heat until it’s sufficiently frothy & light.
Whisk, whisk, whisk over barely simmering water & be sure to pay attention to clearing the bottom & sides of the bowl or pot constantly as you go along. This will help to keep the sauce smooth.
My recipe will give you just over 1 cup of sauce.
Type: Sauce Recipe
Serve with: vegetables, over chicken, fish or other meats
Prep Time: 7 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Yields: just over 1 cup of Hollandaise sauce
- Over a low temperature, melt butter, removing any foam that might form. * Tip: Keep butter warm until needed.
- Into the top of a double boiler or stainless steel bowl, combine egg yolks & cold water.
- Away from the heat, beat the egg mixture until frothy & light.
- Place double boiler pot or bowl over just barely simmering water, and whisk until the eggs thicken, 2 – 6 min. * Tip: Don’t allow eggs to get too hot. Cool mixture a bit by removing top pot and set aside, whisking as it cools.
- While whisking, SLOWLY add butter in, leaving froth behind.
- Whisk in lemon juice & just a dash of hot sauce, salt & pepper, to suit your taste. * Tip: If you think the sauce is too thick, you can whisk in a bit of water, drop by drop.
- Serve the sauce at once or cover & keep warm for as long as 20 – 25 min, by placing pot or bowl in warm water, not hot water.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this French Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Lemon Pie Filling
- How to Make Banana Rum Pudding with Toasted Coconut
- How to Make Hot Berry Sauce
- How to Make Amazing Angel Pie
- How to Cook Lemon Curd + Video: Easter Surprises