This recipe for How to Make Roasted Broccoli & Blue Potato Salad with Warm Vinaigrette can be used as a side dish, for a full luncheon or picnic meal.
Topped with a tangy vinaigrette, and you’re all set!
Roasted Broccoli & Blue Potato Salad with Warm Vinaigrette:
The blue potatoes might be a little difficult to find, but you could use pretty well any kind of potatoes.
These blue potatoes and the broccoli used in this recipe came from my local Harvest Barn Country Market in Niagara-on-the-Lake, which is one of two locations they have – the other being in St. Catharines, Ontario.
Type: Salad Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: ~ 1 hr 15 min
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 8 – 10 medium-sized blue potatoes – washed & cut into bite-sized pieces; leave skins on, but remove any blemishes
- 1 head of broccoli – washed thoroughly
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion – optional
- 2 cloves garlic – optional
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked peppercorns
- sprinkle of sea salt
- fresh herbs – options of rosemary, parsley, basil, oregano, chives or scapes can be added
- sprinkling of red chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Place pieces of blue potatoes into a baking dish. Drizzle potatoes with 2 tbsp olive oil and toss up in the baking dish to lightly coat all the potato pieces.
- This would be the time to add in any of the optional ingredients like onions, garlic and your choice of herbs.
- Place baking dish into oven at 350 degrees F and check in 20 min. Then, re-toss the potatoes and return to oven for another 15 – 20 min.
- Trim the broccoli and remove florets, leaving about 1 – 2 inches of the stalks attached. Cut florets into bite sized pieces. Remove the stubs from the broccoli main stalk and save them in the freezer for soups & stews.
- With a peeler, remove the outer peel of the broccoli stalk and cut off the opposite end, if it appears woody or dried. Slice the stalk lengthwise into about 3 or 4 pieces and then chop into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Place chunks of broccoli and florets into a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add a sprinkling of black pepper.
- When potatoes have been roasting for about 40 min, add the broccoli and return the baking dish to the oven to roast for an additional 15 – 25 min, and broccoli is tender.
- When broccoli is tender, remove baking dish from oven.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of vinaigrette over the potatoes and broccoli. Re-toss and return to oven for 5 min.
- Remove baking dish from oven and serve. Have some of the vinaigrette available for the diners to serve themselves with more of the dressing if they wish.
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3/4 – 1 cup olive oil
- herbs – options are parsley, chives, garlic, basil or lavender
- In a small bowl, combine ground mustard, vinegar, honey, olive oil and whisk well.
- Adjust seasonings and other ingredients – parsley, chives, garlic, basil or lavender are optional – if you desire, and continue whisking till everything is emulsified.
This is a very delicious, hot salad and it goes well with almost any entrée of your choice. The vinaigrette is a tasty finishing addition to the salad.
- This show is brought to you by Harvest Barn Country Markets @ HarvestBarn.ca.
This Roasted Broccoli & Blue Potato Salad with Warm Vinaigrette is the perfect addition to your table this season.
- How to Cook Sweet Potato Sticks in a Roasting Tray + Video
- How to Make Quick Baked Potatoes
- How to Cook Potato Cakes
- How to Cook Quick Baked Potatoes in the Microwave
- How to Roast Potato Florets + Video