The other day, I made potato cakes and when I went to serve them realized not only did I not have any plain yogurt to serve them with, I had no sour cream either!
I hate that! But I refuse to be thwarted in my own kitchen…LOL…There’s always a back-up plan.
The first back-up plan you should take is to mix buttermilk with vinegar to make a sort of creme fraiche. However, I didn’t have any buttermilk or creme for that matter…
What to do…This was my solution:
Type: Sauce Recipe
Serve With: in the place of sour cream or plain yogurt
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Yield: approximately 1 1/4 cups
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice – or 1 tsp vinegar
- sea salt – to taste
- Blend in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.
- Add sea salt to taste & serve in place of sour cream or plain yogurt.
It’s NOT exactly like sour cream or plain yogurt, but in a pinch, when you’re stuck, this will certainly do.
I hope you enjoyed this Cooking Tip on Cooking with Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. Be sure to check out the Cooking with Kimberly Store!
[tags]sour cream substitute, sour cream replacement, plain yogurt substitute, plain yogurt replacement, quick sour cream, sauce recipe, sauces[/tags]
- What’s the Difference Between Milk and Half & Half Cream? + Video
- How to Cook Potato Cakes
- How to Make Coeur la Crème: Valentine’s Day Treats
- How to Cook Turnip Hash
- How to Make Kimberly’s Easy Cream Sauce for Desserts