National Pumpkin Day is upon us, and if you have never made your own Pumpkin Pie from Scratch, you’re in for a treat of a recipe too.
We all know how delicious Pumpkin Pie is, and though tinned pumpkin puree is perfectly alright to create a good pie filling, making your own from fresh pumpkin is fantastic, and my favorite!
How to Make Pumpkin Pie:
About 7 lbs of fresh pumpkin will make 5 cups of puree.
Type: Pie Recipe
Serve with: homemade whipped cream
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 20 – 25 min
Yields: 1 pie (pumpkin puree recipe below yields enough for 3 pies)
Now, you can go with store bought pie filling, but this is one place you will be happy you didn’t cheat, if you make your own pumpkin puree yourself.
This pumpkin puree recipe yields enough for about 3 pumpkin pies.
* Tip: If you don’t need all of the prepared pumpkin puree, just freeze it for another time.
- 7 lbs fresh pumpkin – chunks
- 2 tbsp oil – canola or vegetable
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Scrub the pumpkin first, removing seeds to save & toast for a separate, tasty snack.
- Cut the pumpkin up into manageable chunks.
- Lightly coat with oil.
- Bake in oven in a greased pan at 325 degrees F with the pumpkin rind side down until it is very tender – about 1 1/2 – 2 hrs.
- Scrape pumpkin from rind & puree in food processor or mash well. * Tip: If this mixture is too wet, strain it through cheesecloth until the water drips through – about 1 hr.
2. How to Prepare Pie Crust:
Whether purchased or homemade, you will need to be sure this pie crust is par-baked before you add the pumpkin pie filling to it to bake longer.
- 1 pie crust
- 1 egg yolk – to glaze
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Glaze pie crust(s) with egg yolk.
- Bake until golden & reduce heat to 375 degrees F for 10 – 12 min or until lightly golden.
- Tip: If you have extra dough from making pie crust yourself, form and cut with a knife freehand or with a cookie cutter, shapes like a pumpkin, leaves, holly, small berries to add to it, to create a decoration baked on the top of the filling.
3. How to Make Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- pie crust – purchase or make yourself
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs – separated
- 2 cups sweetened evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar – packed
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spices – if you have it
- Whisk into a large mixing bowl, egg yolks.
- Add in & mix thoroughly, pumpkin puree, sweetened evaporated milk, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt & pumpkin spices.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until fluffy.
- Gently fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture.
- Reserve filling to fill pies when you’re ready to bake them.
Now, comes the best part. You are assembling this pie to prepare it for baking…You’re almost there!
- 1 pie crust – par baked from above
- pumpkin pie filling – from above
- Pour filling into pie crust & bake 35 – 50 min, depending on how full the pie crust is.
- Bake in oven on 375 degrees F until filling is firm, but does not look dry.
- Remove from oven & cool.
- Serve at room temperature with whipped cream.
This Pumpkin Pie is delicious beyond expectation or reason, and it’s perfect for National Pumpkin Day!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Pumpkin Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Pumpkin Puree + Video
- How to Cook Perfect Pumpkin Pie Filling
- How to Make a Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- How to Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake: National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day
- How to Bake Pumpkin Bread in a Bread Machine