Portabello Mushroom Burgers are a tasty surprise in any lunch box.
This is an absolutely amazingly delightful combination. School lunches can be meatless, yet still tasty & nutritious.
A gorgeously roasted mushroom with fresh toppings & flavorful seasoning inside of a pita pocket, and you have a great lunchtime treat.
Portabello Mushroom Pita Burgers:
Type: Sandwich Recipe
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 – 20 min
Yield: 1 pita burger
- 1 wheat pita or a large ciabatta bun – sliced in half
- 1 large portabello mushroom
- 2 thin slices of tomato
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 thin slice of cheddar cheese
- 1 leaf of lettuce – rinse & pat dry
- salt & pepper – to taste
- Remove stem from mushroom. Drizzle with some olive oil, add salt, pepper and a whisper of garlic salt. Place in 350 degree F oven and cook for 15 – 20 min.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut about 1/2 inches around the top of one pita, so the pocket can be easily opened.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the inside of the pita.
- Remove mushroom from oven when cooked through. Add seasonings, if desired. Gently press down on the mushroom and insert into the pita pocket.
- Next, layer the following ingredients on top of the portabello mushroom: cheese slice, tomato slice and lettuce.
- If you decide to use a bun instead of pita, just layer the various ingredients as you would for a burger.
- Package securely in plastic wrap and have mustard & ketchup available in small packets.
This unique and appealing lunch is full of good things. Place in lunch box or bag and you’re all set.
A nice bundle of green or red grapes and/or a small yogurt would make a tasty dessert. Provide a drink of your choice and your child will be benefiting from a healthy and nutritious lunch made with love.
Your kids will really enjoy a change of these Portabello Mushroom Pita Burgers!
- How to Bake Kimberly’s Crab Melt Pita Pizza
- Catch the Podcast of School Lunch Ideas with Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’
- How to Bake Classic Pita Pizzas
- How to Grill Black Sheep Cheese Stuffed Hamburgers with Haskapa Chutney + Video
- National Cheeseburger Day is Ooey Gooey Good + 2 BBQ Recipes