Mozzarella Balls with Tomatoes & Hummus Wraps is a nutritious meal for your kids to take with them to school. Moms everywhere scurry around trying to get interesting school lunches together for their children, and this idea is one I think will go over well with the kids. Mozzarella is filled with calcium & protein, served with fresh, juicy tomatoes and protein-rich hummus, all of which is really healthy, and will be filling for those little tummies.
Mozzarella Balls with Tomatoes & Hummus Wraps:
- Tip: You can purchase these mozzarella balls any most supermarkets in the deli or dairy case section, or you can make them yourself with a melon baller.
Type: School Lunch Recipe
Prep Time: 12 – 15 min Yield: 3 wraps + 3 skewers
- 6 mozzarella balls
- 6 whole cherry tomatoes
- 6 basil leaves
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- three 6-inch tortillas or pitas
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 9 thin slices of green or red bell pepper
- 3 romaine lettuce leaves – wash & pat dry
- 9 large pimento-stuffed olives – sliced in half
- sprinkle of garlic salt
- sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil
- Have ready 6 strong toothpicks.
- Skewer onto each toothpick, 1 mozzarella ball, then 1 cherry tomato followed by 1 folded basil leaf. Continue until you have six skewers, and place on a flat plate.
- Sparingly brush each mozzarella ball with balsamic vinegar. Shake off excess vinegar. Sprinkle lightly with herbs, if desired.
- Transfer skewered mozzarella balls with tomatoes and bay leaves to plastic wrap, and package securely before placing them into lunch box or bag.
- Spread hummus over each wrap. Place a piece of romaine lettuce, 3 slices of red or green pepper and 6 olive halves on each wrap.
- Sprinkle with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle very lightly with garlic salt or herbs of your choice.
- Roll up and secure each hummus wrap, in separate pieces of plastic wrap. Add to the lunch box.
- Catch the Podcast of School Lunch Ideas with Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’
- How to Make Macaroni Salad with Wheat Crackers & Cheese + Dessert Wrap: School Lunch Ideas
- How to Make Easy Skewered Kebabs with Dip: School Lunch Ideas
- How to Bake Classic Pita Pizzas
- How to Cook Napa Valley Bordeaux Cherry Balsamic Chicken Livers + Video