Macaroni Salad with Wheat Crackers & Cheese:
Type: School Lunch Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: about 20 min
- 4 or 5 cups of elbow macaroni or shells
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 tbsp scallions – finely chopped
- salt & pepper – to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp parsley – finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp prepared mustard
- 3 hard boiled eggs – peeled & sliced
- Cook macaroni in plenty of boiling salted water. When cooked to the al dente stage, remove from heat, strain and set aside. Stir in peanut oil and allow macaroni to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer macaroni to a large mixing bowl. Add in scallions, cayenne, salt and pepper, parsley and boiled eggs. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, heavy cream, mustard and vinegar.
- Add mayonnaise mixture to macaroni mixture and combine well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Fill a small plastic container with a lid with 1 – 2 cups of macaroni salad, and place into lunch box or lunch bag.
- Wrap some wheat crackers in plastic wrap, and add to lunch box together with a few cheese slices or cheese cubes.
How to Make Dessert Wraps:
- Spread a small tortilla with soft cream cheese. Arrange on top of that, sliced kiwis, blueberries and/or raspberries.
- Sprinkle with a bit of coconut and a sprinkle of brown sugar.
- Roll it up tightly, making an ideal dessert for this lunch.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and add to the lunch box or bag.
The child who gets this lunch will be fortunate indeed, and the envy of his or her classmates.
This Macaroni Salad with Wheat Crackers & Cheese plus a Dessert Wrap for school lunch will be well received by the kids.
- How to Make Pancake Sandwiches with Fruit & Stuffed Celery: School Lunch Ideas
- How to Make Layered Salad with Granola & Crackers in a Jar: School Lunch Ideas
- How to Make Macaroni Salad with Roasted Peppers & Sun-Dried Tomatoes: 4th of July Fare
- How to Make Cucumber Chicken Salad Finger Sandwiches: School Lunch Ideas
- Catch the Podcast of School Lunch Ideas with Kimberly on ‘Tim Denis in the Morning’