Extraordinary Oxtail Stew has what it takes to delight your taste buds.
Extraordinary Oxtail Stew:
This is hearty, fabulously delicious, easy to make, and very impressive! It’s well worth the wait…AND, you’ll crave this stew over and over again!
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve With: fresh, crusty bread or rice & topped with freshly chopped parsley
Prep Time: 17 min
Cook Time: 2 – 3 1/2 hrs total
Yield: 1 large stock pot full, serves 4 – 6 people
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs ox tails – bone in
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups carrots – sliced
- 1 3/4 cups celery – sliced
- 1 large onion – diced
- 1 parsnip – sliced
- 3 cloves garlic – peeled
- 2 cups red wine – I use Port.
- 8 cups beef broth or chicken broth
- 1 pinch thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sweet potato – peeled & sliced
- Wash and pat dry ox tails.
- In a preheated stock pot on medium-high heat with olive oil, add oxtails and sear until golden brown on all sides – approximately 25 min. Remove from pot and set aside.
- To the pot, add diced vegetables, except sweet potato, and bay leaves and sauté on medium until onions are translucent.
- On medium-high heat, add ox tails, wine, broth and thyme and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hrs or until fork tender. Ideally, simmer for 3 hrs.
- Approximately 20 min prior to completion, add diced sweet potatoes and simmer until fork tender.
- Serve with fresh, crusty bread or over rice topped with freshly chopped parsley.
This is a great Sunday dinner, but be sure to make a little extra for leftovers! Yup, it’s that good!
Try out this extraordinary oxtail stew & reap the rewards of time well spent!
- How to Cook Hearty Lamb Stew
- How to Cook Fantastic Beef Stew
- How to Cook Irish Stew: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook Meatball Soup
- How to Cook Very Vegetable Soup