You will be happy you learned How to Make Sopapilla as it is a delicious Mexican dessert treat.
How to Make Dessert Sopapilla:
I always look forward to eating these tasty bits of goodness.
Type: Dessert Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp warm water
- 1 1/4 tbsp vegetable oil
- lard or vegetable oil – enough to give 3 – 3 1/2 inches of fat in a 10 inch-wide sauce pan
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add warm water and 1 1/4 tbsp vegetable oil and stir to form a soft dough.
- Lightly flour your hands and knead until slightly elastic, smooth and soft. This should take about 1 min. * Tip: You shouldn’t over-knead this dough, as it will get too difficult to roll out when required.
- Put dough into an oiled plastic bag and put into refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Divide dough into approximately 12 – 15 equal sized pieces. With your hand press down and flatten each piece into a 3 – 4 inch round.
- Cover rounds with plastic wrap and allow to rest for about 15 – 20 min.
- Lightly dust your work surface with flour and roll out each round until it is quite thin and reaches about 7 – 8 inches in diameter. With your finger, poke a hole in the middle of each rolled out round.
- Pour lard or vegetable oil into a 10 inch diameter sauce pan. Heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Carefully, slip one round sopapilla at a time into the hot oil and fry until light golden brown and puffed up – about 1 min per side. Turn over with tongs. Drain on kitchen paper towels.
- Drizzle with honey or sift confectioners sugar over sopapilla.
I like to drizzle honey on half of them and the icing sugar over the other half. Kimberly loves to use sopapilla syrup only.
‘Tis is such a simple but truly delicious dessert or snack – your family and friends will love it. You will be glad you learned How to Make Dessert Sopapilla.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Mexican Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Bake Bread with Raisins: Raisin Bread Month
- How to Bake Cinnamon Sticky Buns: Mother’s Day Delights
- How to Make Delicious Flour Tortillas: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- Swedish National Cinnamon Roll Day: How to Bake Cinnamon Rolls
- How to Bake Mom’s Classic Pie Crust