You’ll wonder why you’ve never thought of making Cucumber Chicken Salad Sandwiches before…
It turns a boring sandwich into fun finger foods that are delicious & easy to eat for little fingers.
Cucumber Chicken Salad Finger Sandwiches:
When I use cucumbers, I don’t like to remove all of the peeling because that’s where all the good stuff is. To get the best of both worlds, I just partially remove the peeling by taking off only strips of the peeling – and it looks prettier too!
Type: Sandwich Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Yields: 2 filled cucumbers
How to Make Chicken Salad:
Prep Time: 8 min
Yield: about 1 1/4 cups; enough to fill 2 large cucumbers
Ingredients for Chicken Salad:
- approximately 1 cup cooked or roasted chicken – diced into about 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp celery – finely diced
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise – more if desired; for a low cal lunch, use plain yogurt
- 1 tsp scallions – finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh parsley – finely chopped
- 1 tbsp heavy cream – * optional
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper – to taste
- 3 or 4 drops vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp dill – finely chopped
Instructions for Chicken Salad:
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine chicken, celery, scallions, parsley, cayenne, dill, salt & pepper, and make sure it is well mixed.
- Add in the mayonnaise, heavy cream and vinegar, and toss well making sure that all the ingredients are coated with the mayonnaise/cream/vinegar mixture.
- Note: For the discerning teen, you may want to add some grapes to the mixture or make an addition of wasabi, instead of dill.
You’re almost there. Let’s get those cucumbers ready to fill.
- Partially peel the cucumber by removing only strips of the skin.
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out all of the seeds from inside the both halves of the cucumber.
- Fill the groove on one half of the cucumber by heaping it full of chicken salad. Place the other half of the cucumber on top and lightly press together, ensuring that no salad squeezes out beyond the edges of the cucumber halves. Slice into 2 inch segments and wrap with plastic wrap.
- The sandwiches are now ready to eat.
This makes a very beautiful presentation of small, but tasty sandwiches, overflowing with hearty chicken salad.
To go with these sandwiches, I like to fry a pita in peanut oil until it browns on each side. Then, give it a sprinkle of Italian seasoning and a whisper of garlic salt, and cut it up like a pie, in about 6 to 8 wedges, wrap them up, and into the lunch box they go, along with those delicious cucumber chicken salad sandwiches.
Try making these Cucumber Chicken Salad Finger Sandwiches, and you may have to make another batch just for yourself!
- How to Make a Different Kind of Chicken Salad Sandwich
- How to Make Macaroni Salad with Wheat Crackers & Cheese + Dessert Wrap: School Lunch Ideas
- How to Make Cottage Cucumber Salad
- How to Make 3 Unique Recipes for Cucumbers
- How to Make Pancake Sandwiches with Fruit & Stuffed Celery: School Lunch Ideas