Flan is a popular dessert in Spain and Latin America and since it is so delicious, it’s a good idea to learn how to make Crème Caramel Flan, so yo can add it to your list of favorite recipes.
How to Make Crème Caramel Flan:
Type: Dessert Recipe
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
Cool Time: 5 hrs – 2 days
Yield: 8 servings
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Have 8 ramekins ready.
- In a small sauce pan, combine 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar, and 1/3 cup water. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves without stirring. * Tip: In order to control the heat without stirring, slide the sauce pan back & forth, on & off of the heat, as needed.
- Increase heat to high, and bring this syrup to a full boil, cover, boiling for another 2 min.
- Remove lid and cook until the caramel starts to color up. Very gently stir until syrup turns a deep amber color.
- Immediately, pour the caramel into the ramekins, using a pot holder, and quickly tilt cups to spread caramel to cover bottoms and half way up the sides.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar and salt, until blended.
- Heat milk until steaming, and very slowly whisk milk into egg mixture, stirring gently until sugar dissolves. If desired, the mixture can be strained through a fine mesh sieve, into a bowl or large measuring cup with a pouring lip.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour custard into caramel lined ramekins.
- Bake in a large water bath pan until centers are firmly set – about 50 min. Transfer to cooling rack and then refrigerate for a minimum of 5 hrs or up to as long as 2 days. * Tip: Ramekins should be covered with plastic wrap before refrigeration to stop a film from on top of custard.
- Remove from refrigerator, remove plastic wrap and to unmold by dipping ramekins into hot water for a moment.
- Using a knife, run it around edges of ramekins to loosen flan. Then, invert ramekins on to dessert plates with a little rim around edges. * Tip: The beautiful caramel will now be on top and some might run over custard onto plate.
- Garnish each dessert with a large fresh strawberry with stem on, or a few raspberries scattered around flan.
This recipe showing you how to make a Crème Caramel Flan will give you an elegant and super delicious dessert to serve to your guests.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Spanish Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- Decadent National Caramel Custard Day Recipe
- How to Cook Ooey Gooey Crème Brûlée
- How to Make Caramel Corn: National Popcorn Poppin’ Month
- How to Bake Perfect Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- How to Make Caramel Apples: Caramel Apple Day