…It’s only about 10 degrees above freezing today, which means it’s chilly!
On my break from working online today, I decided I wanted a cup of homemade hot chocolate, but not just ANY hot chocolate. I want to kick it up and make it much more interesting by adding some kind of interesting flavor.
I thought of a few and have decided upon Cardamom – one of my favorite spices around.
Now, chocolate is a rather strong flavor, so I want to really infuse this concoction with quite a bit of cardamom, so that it can shine through. Cardamom is available at your grocery store or South Asian market.
Try experimenting with other spices such as cinnamon, mint, chili, ginger, lemon or even orange…maybe even some liqueurs. Enjoy!
Type: Hot Chocolate Recipe
Top With: whipped cream, ground cardamom, small marshmallows
Prep Time: 4 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Steep Time: 10 mins
Yield: 4 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the video below.
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tbsp cardamom pods
- 1 cup chocolate – small chips or chunks
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 dash salt
- Pour milk into thick-bottomed sauce pot on medium low heat and bring to a low simmer with cardamom pods (or other spices you choose). * Tip: Be sure to whisk or stir and be sure to check bottom of pot so milk isn’t sticking to bottom of pot.
- Remove pot from heat and allow spices to steep in milk for 10 mins. Either strain out spices & herbs with a strainer or strain liquid to remove spices and pour into another pot.
- Return milk to a simmer on medium heat. Add chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar and salt and whisk until chocolate pieces are completely melted and dissolved into hot chocolate.
- Allow to simmer another 3 mins while stirring constantly.
- Serve with a smile!
Top your cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and a sprinkle of ground cardamom, if desired, or small marshmallows.
I hope you enjoyed this Chocolate Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
- Happy National Chocolate Pudding Day – How to Make It!
- How to Cook Brandy Cardamom Pumpkin Custard
- National Chocolate Milkshake Day: How to Make Chocolate Milkshakes
- National White Chocolate Day: Decadent Mousse Recipe
- Tempting Pudding Recipe for National Chocolate Day