I am happy to share with you my recipe for How to Make Rhubarb Juice, and how to can it too.
How to Make & Can Rhubarb Juice:
Type: Beverage Recipe
Prep Time: 10 – 15 min
Maceration Time: up to 3 hrs
Cook Time: heat just up to the boil
Process Time: 15 min
Cool Time: 24 hrs
- fresh rhubarb – trimmed & washed
- Having chosen tender, bright, red stalks, discarding the leaves and green parts, the rhubarb is ready to prepare for making juice.
- Your jars should be washed, sterilized and hot. The lids should also be washed & sterilized.
- Chop the rhubarb into 1 inch segments.
- For each quart of chopped rhubarb, add 1/2 cup of sugar and allow to stand in a cool area.
- Stir the rhubarb occasionally until the juices begin to flow – no longer than 3 hrs.
- In a large pot, mix one quart of water with each 5 quarts of fruit. Heat quickly until the water begins to boil.
- Strain through a mesh and heat to 190 degrees.
- Pour the juice into the prepared hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head-space.
- Apply the lids to the juice filled jars.
- Into a large processing pot with just enough boiling water to barely cover the tops of the jars, place the juice jars and process for 15 min.
- Remove the jars and place on a towel, covering the jars with another towel and allow to stand until they come to room temperature.
- Allow the jars to remain as they are for an additional 24 hrs. Then, transfer the jars to a dry, cool, dark location for storage.
This rhubarb juice will be a welcome beverage when you want something special and delicious.
- How to Can Rhubarb
- How to Make & Can Rhubarb Chutney
- How to Can Dill Pickles: National Pickle Day
- How to Make Peach Freezer Jam + Video
- How to Oven-Bake Spiced Pear & Rhubarb with Verjus in Stoneware Ramekins + Video