Such a nice change from the standard lemon meringue pie.
How to Make Blood Orange Meringue Pie:
Try using other citrus fruit for a lovely fruit meringue pie. Some other options include:
Type: Dessert Recipe
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 10 – 15 min
Yield: 1 – 9 inch pie
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- one 9 inch pie shell – baked
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 7 level tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 2/3 cup blood orange juice – fresh squeezed
- 4 egg yolks – well beaten
- 1 2/3 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest or lemon zest
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter – cut up into small cubes
Pie Filling Instructions:
- Bake the pie crust & have it ready.
- In medium sized sauce pan, combine sugar, cornstarch & salt.
- Add water & orange juice, blending until smooth.
- Add in well beaten egg yolks, and blend thoroughly.
- Slowly add in boiling water, whisking constantly.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring gently. As it starts to thicken, reduce heat & simmer gently for 1 min longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter & zest until butter melts.
- Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Prepare meringue topping and spread on top of filling, covering edges first, then piling the meringue on top of the center, pulling up on the meringue to form pretty peaks.
- 4 egg whites – room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup fine sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract – optional
- Using a clean bowl and beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy.
- Add in cream of tartar, and beat until very soft peaks form.
- Add sugar slowly while continuing to beat. Then, increase speed to high, and beat until peaks are stiff & still glossy, but not dry.
- Slowly beat in vanilla extract at this time, if desired.
- Spread meringue over hot pie filling, as directed above.
- Place pie in oven & bake on 400 degrees F, for about 10 – 15 min or until the meringue has turned a nice even golden color with slightly darker tips. * Tip: Check in between to be sure meringue does not burn.
Perhaps you hadn’t heard How to Make Orange Meringue Pie until now, but I am sure you will really enjoy the fresh flavor of this beautiful, delicious pie.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Pie Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Make Lemon Meringue Pie
- How to Make Amazing Angel Pie
- How to Make a Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- How to Bake Blackberry Pie
- How to Bake Christmas Shortbread Cookies