National Deep Fried Clams Day is a super day to celebrate on November 1st.
Different Types of Clams:
Ways to Purchase Clams:
They might be sold:
If you purchase fresh clams, test each to be certain every one is tightly closed. If they are slightly open, make sure they close up tightly when touched.
If shells are chipped or cracked, definitely discard these.
Clams can be stored for a short period refrigerated in a container, covered with a wet towel, not in sealed, plastic bags, where they could be suffocated.
How to Cook Deep Fried Clams:
My recipe for deep fried clams follows with golden deliciousness.
Type: Main Dish Recipe
Serve with: hot sauce, lemon wedges, marinara sauce, tartar sauce, aioli or an herbed mayonnaise
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 2 – 5 min
Serves: 2 – 3
- 2 – 3 lbs clams – cleaned & shucked
- 2 cups buttermilk or whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 inches vegetable oil – for deep fryer
- Preheat oil to 365 degrees F (medium-high heat) using at least 2 1/2 inches of vegetable oil.
- Prepare clams by cleaning and/or shucking. * Tip: If you so desire, clams can be mixed with oysters, raw peeled & butterflied shrimp or scallops with hinge removed, or cleaned squid cut into chunks.
- Into a shallow container, pour buttermilk or whole milk.
- In another shallow bowl, flour, salt, black pepper & cayenne.
- Dip clams into milk mixture and drain the excess.
- Then, dip into flour mixture. Add a few clams into the hot oil. Fry clams until golden in color, stirring often – about 2 – 5 min. * Tip: Do not crowd the fryer. * Tip: Bigger pieces of shellfish may need to be turned over.
- Drain on paper towels & serve with lemon wedges, hot sauce, marinara sauce, tartar sauce, aioli or herbed mayonnaise.
National Deep Fried Clams Day can be such a great time with these quick, scrumptious morsels!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Seafood Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- National Fried Scallops Day: Deep Fried Scallops Recipe
- How to Make Creamy Tartar Sauce
- How to Cook Mom’s Canadian Fried Chicken
- How to Cook Mom’s Coconut Chicken Fingers
- Ode to Chicken Wings: Tailgating Central