If you’re looking for a quick meal recipe that’s not only delicious and easy to prepare, but is also fun to eat, then you’ve found the right place.
Kebabs look beautiful and they are easy to eat for everyone. Shrimp cook very quickly, so you can have your meal on the table very quickly. In fact, the side dishes may take longer for you to prepare than the main dish in this instance.
Type: Main Dish
Serve With: Rice or a Side Salad
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 7-10 mins
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 lb shrimp – de-shelled & de-veined – preferably defrosted
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 2 tbsp
- 1 large clove garlic – minced
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- zest from 1/2 lemon – minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley – finely chopped
- 1/2 large onion – chopped into 2 inch chunks
- 1 large green, red or yellow pepper – chopped into 2 inch chunks
- ~ 8 skewers – wooden or metal
- In a large Ziploc freezer bag, combine spices, olive oil, lemon juice & shrimp and allow to sit in marinade for up to an hour.
- If you are using wooden skewers and you intend to grill the shrimp kebabs, be sure to submerge them in water to soak for at least 30 mins prior to grilling. You won’t have to soak them if you’re going to bake the shrimp kebabs in the oven.
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and add onion & pepper chunks. Lightly soften the pieces so that they aren’t completely raw/hard when adding onto kebabs for the oven. Set aside and allow to cool to the touch. If you don’t do this step, your pepper & onion will be hard and uncooked from such a short cooking time in the oven or on the BBQ.
- Assemble kebabs by sticking skewer through the shrimp twice so it sits like a crescent moon parallel to skewer, then layer some onion & pepper in between the shrimp. You should be able to get 8 generous kebabs completed. * Tip: For even & effective cooking, don’t overcrowd the kebabs.
- *** You may grill the kebabs on the BBQ on medium flame, after lightly spraying grill with cooking spray, for about 2-3 minutes per side or until shrimp is pink. *** If you are baking in the oven, preheat to 350 degrees. Arrange kebabs on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet, so they are not touching each other. Bake in the oven for 12-15 mins, flipping the skewers halfway. Be sure the shrimp are pink & cooked through.
You may want to serve these shrimp kebabs on a bed of rice or with a side salad, and lemon wedges.
I hope you enjoyed this Seafood Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
- How to Grill a Whole Mackerel – Lemon Cedar Leaf Grilled Mackerel
- How to Cook the Best Hamburgers in Town
- How to Cook Lamb Skewers with Peppers, Sweet Potatoes & Pears
- How to Roast Skewered Cauliflower + Video
- How to Cook Spicy Cream Cheese Stuffed Tortilla Rolls