National Sardines Day is November 24th, and it is going to be delicious with a recipe for Sardines & Apple Casserole!
Sardines are members of the herring fish family.
Personally, I very much enjoy the salty, oily sardines in a tin, and I enjoy them with raw onion slices or chives, and some good, homemade bread, which allows me to use very little piece of the fish, and the delicious dipping oil they come in. I like eating them with potato chips too.
I know many people don’t like to eat sardines, but those of us who do, find it to be a treat every once in a while.
If you get the whole, fresh European type of herring, which is a saltwater fish, it is possible you will be removing the gills & innards. Rinse off the scales and then cook as is, or the backbone can be removed for stuffing.
Smoked herring is also delicious by itself or cooked with onion, and rolled up with sour cream.
Any way you look at it, there are a lot of folks worldwide, who really enjoy their sardines & herring.
How to Cook Sardines & Apple Casserole:
When my husband spent some time in Germany, he came home boasting of the delicious sardines (herring) & apples he enjoyed.
Type: Casserole Recipe
Serve with: lemon wedges & apple slices
Prep Time: 20 min
Soak Time: overnight
Bake Time: 35 – 40 min
Yields: 3 – 4 people
- 3 large, salted herring
- milk – enough to cover herring to soak
- 6 potatoes – washed, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion – chopped
- 4 large apples – washed, peeled, sliced
- salt & pepper – to taste
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup mild, white cheese
- Soak large, salted herring overnight in milk.
- Drain & split them.
- Remove & discard the skin & bones.
- Cut fillets into 1 inch pieces.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice potatoes very thinly and chop onions.
- In alternate layers, arrange fish, potatoes & onions in a buttered baking dish with apple slices on top of each layer.
- Season each layer with salt & pepper, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs & mild, white cheese. * Tip: Don’t use too much cheese, as it will take away from the marvelous flavors you already have going on.
- Bake 35 – 40 min on 375 degrees F, or until potatoes are tender.
When serving, have lemon available at the table, a tray of peeled sliced apples sprinkled with lemon juice for each person to serve themselves. Also, have sour cream available at the table for an accompaniment.
National Sardines Day will be super tasty with this Sardines & Apple Casserole recipe. Oh yeah!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Fish Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Potato & Apple + Video: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook Dublin Coddle: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Cook Bacon Mashed Potatoes + Video: Tailgating Central
- How to Cook Lobster Whiskey Cream Stew: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Make Great Applesauce: It’s National Apple Month