A perfect Fall or Winter favorite, this Eastern European recipe is hearty, and full of love and comfort.
Hearty beef with vegetables and Spices-of-the-Earth, we are taking you on a journey to Eastern Europe with this borscht recipe.
Today’s borscht is made in stoneware ramekins, which are fantastic because they hold in the nutrients and unbelievable flavor when cooking. Also perfect for customizing each person’s individual pot for certain dietary or flavor preferences.
My Vyatka Ceramic Stoneware Ramekins are from FromRussia.com.
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve With: dollop of sour cream & fresh, crusty bread
Prep Time: 7 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
Yield: Serves 1
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy the video below:
- 3/4 cup simmering beef
- 2 leaves cabbage – shredded or sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 small whole clove
- 1/4 tsp sea salt – or to taste
- 10 mustard seeds – optional
- 1.5 tsp fresh chives – chopped; you may use onion
- 1 tbsp scape – you may use a garlic clove
- 1/4 cup celery – chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot – chopped
- 1 doz cherry or grape tomatoes – halved or quartered; you may use a large whole tomato
- liquid – stock, water or tea; to cover ingredients in ramekin; roughly 1-1.5 cups
- 2 tbsp potatoes – small dice
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- * 1/3 cup beets – small dice; optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put all ingredients into ramekin on a cookie sheet – beef, spices (except dill), vegetables (except potatoes), and liquid.
- Cover with lid and cook in oven for 45 min – 1 hr.
- Take out and add potatoes & dill to ramekin and stir.
- Replace lid and cook an additional 20 min.
- Remove from oven and serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired, and fresh, crusty bread alongside it.
I hope you enjoy this Beef Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Mennonite Style Borscht
- How to Cook Rhubarb Moos in Stoneware Ramekins + Video
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Super Salmon Cakes
- How to Cook Mennonite Green Bean Soup
- How to Cook Pluma Moos in Stoneware Ramekins + Video