Solution: Rice with Bacon, Tomato & Sweet Potato
I had bacon, one sweet potato, one tomato and some rice. I couldn’t remember a particular time I had combined these ingredients before, especially to create a main dish for dinner.
Well, I just rolled with it, and this is what I came up with…A dish I would create again in the future, purposefully. It was absolutely delicious & a perfect combination of ingredients to keep those taste buds happy, and your belly full.
This recipe could also be used as a tasty, hearty side dish.
How to Cook Rice with Bacon, Tomato & Sweet Potato:
- One thing I’ve learned in the kitchen is that smoked paprika goes a long way when flavoring dishes. It gives a robust smokey flavor with spice that satisfies your guilty cravings.
- Another thing I’ve learned in a kitchen that’s running low on ingredients is to always try to have bacon on hand. There’s serious bang for your buck when you use it crumbled in entrees, and satisfies your meat requirement, if you have one. It’s not just for breakfast. Plus, bacon makes everything better!
That all being said, you want something that’s going to compliment the salty bacon and the smokey paprika, and round out the flavors…The tomato provides a fresh tang that cuts through the fatty bacon with its sweet nuances, that also mix with the sweetness of the sweet potato.
Necessity is the mother of invention and we stumbled upon a winner tonight!
Type: Main Dish Recipe
- 6 slices bacon – cooked, crumbled
- 4 – 6 cups rice – cooked, your favorite variety
- 2 tbsp bacon fat
- 1/2 sweet potato – 1/2 inch diced
- 1 tomato – diced
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp tea or water
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika powder
- salt & pepper – to taste
- Prepare rice in a rice cooker with some salt, pepper & butter.
- Crisp up bacon in a large frying pan. Remove from pan, cool & crumble. Reserve 2 tbsp bacon fat in the pan, and save rest for future cooking in the refrigerator.
- In the large frying pan, sautee sweet potatoes in bacon fat with sweet smoked paprika, hot smoked paprika, salt & pepper, to taste, until golden brown on all sides & fork tender on medium heat. Remove from pan & reserve warm.
- Add tomatoes to frying pan, adding a bit more bacon fat if necessary, and sautee for 1 min on medium heat.
- Add tomato paste & tea or water, season with salt & pepper, to taste, and cook an additional few minutes to create a tomato sauce.
- Serve rice on a plate or in a bowl topped with tomato sauce, crumbled bacon & golden brown sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with fresh, chopped parsley or cilantro.
We are all still licking our chops here as we speak. I had to get this down, so we don’t forget the recipe.
I hope you enjoy this Bacon Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Southern Style Fried Cabbage + Video
- How to Roast Sweet Potato Medallions + Video
- How to Cook Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Potato & Apple + Video: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- How to Roast Smoked Paprika Potato Bites + Video
- How to Cook Sweet Potato Sticks in a Roasting Tray + Video