Purple Pole Beans are some of the most beautiful beans I have ever seen, especially when you actually see them growing on the plant as I have when I harvested them from my Summer garden.
Pretty & prolific! The plant is positively loaded with these tasty beans. They yield a great harvest and you can enjoy them all summer fresh from the garden.
How to Cook Purple Pole Beans:
When I cook them, I wash them first, even though our garden is organic it’s a good idea to rinse off the dust, I then trim the stem end & cook. You can cut them in half or French cut them, as you desire.
At our house we like our beans cooked thoroughly, but if you prefer them to be more firm, by all means try them about half way through the cooking time to see if they have reached the stage of doneness you like.
- If you like your beans to have a crunch, cook them for about 3 – 4 min, and shock them in cold water.
- If you like them al dente, cook them 5 – 6 min.
- If you like them very tender – follow my recipe for timing.
Type: Side Dish Recipe
Prep Time: 9 – 14 min
Cook Time: 10 – 12 min
Yield: 4 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- ~ 2 cups purple pole beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tsp butter – more or less, as you desire
- sprinkle sea salt & freshly ground pepper – to taste
- Rinse & drain beans.
- Trim stem ends off of beans.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, bring just enough water to cover the beans to a boil.
- Add 1 tsp salt, and lemon juice to boiling water.
- Add in the purple pole beans & cover. Bring water back up to a boil. Then, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook until fork tender – about 10 – 12 min.
- Remove from heat, drain beans, and return to sauce pan.
- Add in a sprinkle of sea salt & freshly ground pepper, and butter. Cover pan and shake it around to distribute butter & seasonings coating every bean evenly.
I do hope you follow my recipe on How To Cook Purple Pole Beans and enjoy their deliciousness – maybe even grow some in your garden.
I hope you enjoy this Bean Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Green Beans with Buerre Brun Sauce on the Stove
- How to Cook Green Beans with Lavender Butter + Video
- How to Soak Beans Overnight to Boil + Video
- How to Boil Green Beans
- How to Start Bean Seedlings Indoors for the Vegetable Garden + Video