Stewed Prunes in Orange Juice is on the menu tonight for dessert over ice cream.
How to Stew Prunes in Orange Juice:
The flavor of prunes ripens nicely when stewed in tea, and we will take advantage of that fact along with the orange juice to impart amazing flavor into the prunes, as well as leaving you with a flavorful fruit cordial & tea blend to enjoy afterwards.
Type: Stew Recipe
Serve with: ice cream, whipped cream, yogurt or sour cream
Prep Time: 7 min
Cook Time: ~ 50 min
Chill Time: 2 1/2 – 3 1/2 hrs
- 1 lb prunes – pitted
- water – to cover prunes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tea bags – of your choice; we prefer PG Tips
- In a sauce pan, immerse 1 lb pitted prunes in water, just to cover the prunes.
- Simmer for 5 min, then on low heat, cook for 25 min.
- Add sugar & orange juice, and stir.
- Add tea bags of your choice.
- Cover with a lid until the prunes are tender – about 12 min.
- Remove from the heat and add another 1/3 cup orange juice.
- Remove the tea bags.
- Transfer prunes & their syrup to a bowl.
- Cover & refrigerate for 2 1/2 – 3 1/2 hrs.
Either use these prunes by themselves or over ice cream, with whipped cream, yogurt or even sour cream.
You can use the by itself to flavor Holiday drinks or to drink alone, hot or cold over ice.
Also, you can serve the prunes with their syrup. You can reduce this syrup separately to thicken it, if desired.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Prune Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Stewed Prunes
- How to Make Quick “Sour Cream”
- 2 Prune Recipes for Four Prunes Day
- How to Bake Perfect Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- How to Make Homemade Maple Whipped Cream