In Italian, “cacciatore” means “hunter’s style” and there are countless versions of these recipes.
Cacciatore is usually served with or on top of polenta.
How to Cook Chicken Cacciatore:
This tasty recipe for chicken cacciatore will dazzle your taste buds in a rustico fashion.
Type: Main Dish Recipe
Serve with: polenta or pasta & sprinkled with parsley, bread
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 4 1/2 – 5 1/2 hrs
Serves: 4 – 6 dinner portions
- 5 lbs chicken parts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions – diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp rosemary – crumbled
- 2 tsp sage leaves – broken up
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 3/4 cup wine – red or white
- 8 – 10 oz whole tomatoes with juice – broken up
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 10 oz mushrooms – sliced
- 2/3 cup olives – black or green; pitted, chopped
- sprinkles of parsley
- Salt & pepper the chicken parts & cook & brown in a large skillet on all sides in olive oil.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and reserve.
- Returning skillet to medium heat, add onions, bay leaf, rosemary, sage leaves. Cook & stir until onions reach a golden color – approximately 7 – 8 min.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 min. Do not brown the garlic, as it will become bitter.
- Add wine & chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil. Continue cooking until the wine evaporates, scraping brown bits off bottom of pan with a wooden spatula, and turning the chicken.
- Add tomatoes, and chicken stock. Cook until boiling, then turn heat to low. Simmer for 30 min.
- Add mushrooms & olives and cook with a lid on for 12 min.
- Remove lid. Allow pan juices to boil until somewhat thickened.
- Adjust seasonings & serve on or beside polenta.
Happy National Chicken Cacciatore Day!
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Chicken Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- How to Cook Mushroom Wine Sauce
- How to Cook Split Pea Soup: National Split Pea Soup Week
- How to Cook Chicken Soup: National Chicken Soup for the Soul Day
- How to Cook Curried Mussels
- How to Cook Brussel Sprouts & Chestnuts