I am super excited to share this recipe with you for How to Cook Ginger Chicken Soup in a Pumpkin.
This soup gets to cook inside of the pumpkin, giving it some amazing flavor, as well as giving tastiness to the pumpkin flesh for this recipe, and for other dishes you can use the pumpkin flesh for after.
Ginger Chicken Soup in a Pumpkin:
They have an amazing supply and variety of pumpkins, in all sizes, so you can make your choices from their huge stock.
The flesh is thicker and firmer on these fairytale pumpkins. This gorgeous pumpkin does look like it could be transformed into Cinderella’s coach because the demarcations are so distinct and the coloring is amazing.
The top, around the stem, is cut out on an angle, so it doesn’t fall in when you replace it later, just like you would a Jack-O’-Lantern. The pumpkin seeds and fibrous strings are removed, using a large spoon. While the soup is cooking, the pumpkin is in the oven with the top on.
Ginger chicken soup is such a great soup to help those of us who tend to get the sniffles this time of year.
Type: Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 2 hrs
Yield: 8 servings
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions. Please enjoy this webisode of Cooking with Kimberly:
- 1 Fairytale Pumpkin – thoroughly washed
- 8 – 10 cups chicken stock – I used turkey stock, but veggie stock or water are fine to use.
- 1 – 2 tbsp fresh ginger – grated
- 1 – 2 sprigs fresh parsley – minced
- 1/2 stalk celery – chopped
- 6 mushrooms – sliced
- 1 carrot – chopped
- 3 chicken drumsticks + 1 chicken thigh – Add more chicken, if you have a larger pumpkin.
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- sea salt – to taste
- 8 – 10 peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place pumpkin on a silicone mat lined baking sheet, just to make sure nothing leaks into the oven.
- Place chicken parts into the pumpkin.
- Add into the pumpkin – celery, carrot, mushrooms, parsley, ginger, chili flakes, mustard seeds, bay leaf, clove, sea salt to taste, and peppercorns.
- Ladle in enough stock to come up to about an inch below the lid on the pumpkin – about 8 – 10 cups depending on the size of the pumpkin.
- Place the lid back on the pumpkin.
- Place pumpkin into the oven on the baking sheet to cook for about 1 hr. After 1 hour, remove the top and give the ingredients a stir, and add more broth if needed.
- Replace the lid and return to oven for about another hour, or more depending on the size of your pumpkin, and until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven, remove lid and serve.
I have served this delicious soup, ladled over rice, and I scrape some of the pumpkin flesh out of the pumpkin with every scoop. I try to include some meat and veggies in every serving bowl.
Absolutely delicious & such a conversation piece to bring to the table served out of a pumpkin.
Do pick up a nice pumpkin at Harvest Barn or a good fresh produce market in your area, and you will be glad you followed this recipe – How to Cook Ginger Chicken Soup in a Pumpkin, to provide your table with such a unique and tasty meal.
- How to Cook Holiday Pumpkin Soup
- How to Cook Pumpkin Puree + Video
- How to Toast Pumpkin Seeds + Video
- September is National Chicken Month
- How to Cook Spicy Thai Ginger Coconut Chicken Soup