How to Cook Cuban Style Rice with Black Beans
Maybe it’s a side dish in your home or maybe you’re a vegetarian and this is your main dish. Either way, we can work it out to make it Cuban inspired.
It seems that most Cuban dishes have some type of pork in them. This dish is no exception in that it uses bacon. However, if you’re a vegetarian that eats chicken or turkey, you can use chicken or turkey bacon. If you’re a vegan, they do have vegan “bacon” too.
2 cups black beans – Soaked & cooked
2 cups brown rice – Cooked
4 slices bacon of your choice – Cooked & crumbled
1 medium onion – Chopped
1 clove garlic – Minced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups chicken broth
sour cream – For garnish
1. Add cooked black beans, crumbled bacon, onion, garlic, chili powder and flakes, cayenne pepper and chicken broth into a large stock pot on medium high heat.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until sauce is thickened and beans are soft and somewhat falling apart.
3. Serve on cooked rice and garnish with sour cream and lime, if desired.
Serves: 4-6 people
Absolutely delicious! I do hope you’ll try this one out!
I hope you enjoyed this Cuban Food Recipe on Cooking With Kimberly! Until next time…
Kimberly Edwards 🙂
P.S. For more Cuban-inspired Recipes, check out this phenomenal cookbook:
[tags]Cuban cuisine, Cuban food, rice and beans, Cuban style food, Cuban rice, Cuban beans, Cuban rice and beans, island meals, vegetarian meals[/tags]
- Veggie Chili Challenge
- How to Cook Spanish Rice in a Rice Cooker + Video
- How to Make Rice More Exciting
- National Chili Month Brings a Recipe You Will Love
- How to Cook Vegetable Rice Stuffing for Poultry + Video