National Chicken Soup for the Soul Day is November 12th, and it’s time to share the recipe for my Mom’s Chicken Soup.
What would make you feel more loved than a steaming bowl of chicken soup made by the hands of your Mom or Grandmother?
My Mom’s chicken soup was beyond delicious, and on top of that, she made her own delicious noodles or light, fluffy dumplings. I could smell it as I walked down the lane leading to our home. It’s a delightful & joyous memory, enough to life anyone’s soul!
How to Make Mom’s Chicken Soup:
Type: Soup Recipe
Serve with: fresh, crusty bread
Prep Time: 8 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Yields: ~ 10 cups soup
- a few strands saffron + steeping liquid
- 4 lb stewing hen – or larger, if preferred
- salt – to taste
- pepper – to taste
- 4 whole carrots + 1 diced carrot
- 4 celery ribs – chopped
- 1 clove garlic – whole
- 2 large onions
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 2 tbsp butter
- Place a few strands of saffron into warm water and allow to steep.
- In a large soup pot, bring to a boil, 12 cups of salted water.
- Place cleaned & rinsed stewing hen into pot and cook on a simmer for 2 hrs, or until meat is almost tender. * Tip: It will take less time for a young hen.
- Add in whole carrots, celery, garlic, onions, bay leaves, cloves, bouquet garnis & some pepper.
- Boil & reduce to a simmer for 45 min – 1 hr or until the meat is fully tender. * Tip: Skim off any foam as it cooks.
- Remove chicken to a platter and remove the meat from the bones.
- Strain the contents of the pot and discard vegetables & other solids.
- Pour stock back into the soup pot, and add meat back in, and 1 diced carrot.
- When carrot is tender, add in & stir, saffron + steeping liquid, parsley, salt & pepper – to taste, butter.
- Correct the seasonings.
- Serve with noodles; I usually keep my homemade noodles in my freezer, which are perfect in this soup.
Serve this chicken soup in a tureen to keep it hot at the table, alongside some fresh, crusty bread.
National Chicken Soup for the Soul Day will soothe your soul & keep you healthy throughout the cold, Winter months.
Thanks for checking me out on Cooking with Kimberly. Please check out my blog too:
I hope you enjoy this Chicken Recipe on Cooking with Kimberly. Until next time…
Be a Champion in Your Kitchen & Eat Deliciously!
- Comfort Food Recipe at Its Best: Chicken Soup for the Soul Week
- September is National Chicken Month
- How to Cook Very Vegetable Soup
- How to Cook Kimberly’s Healthy Green Garden Vegetable Soup
- How to Cook Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup with Extra Sharp Cheddar